Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ohbrilliance

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I've had separate accounts for the App store and iCloud since the beginning, too many years ago to recall. That made sense at the time, but has since created quite a headache.

All of my purchases have been tied to my App store account, including music, movies and apps, and they're shared through Family sharing. The one exception is that the iCloud Storage subscription is linked to my iCloud account.

Looking ahead to Apple One, I can see that this could trip things up. Can anybody recommend a way to go about setting up iCloud Storage on my App store account and link that to my family sharing instead of the iCloud Storage subscription current linked to my iCloud account? I can't see any way of doing it, and searches haven't turned anything up. I suppose the method would be similar to changing a shared subscription from one family member to another?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chrisbc

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2015
Wouldn’t this just work when you sign up for Apple One account with your App Store Apple ID? I have separate IDs too.

I spent a lot of time working on this with Apple last week, but couldn’t resolve. They recommended creating a new account on my computer that I sign up for iCloud with my App Store ID, sign up for iCloud storage, then delete the computer user. Alternatively, you could just use your App Store ID for iCloud.

I think my App Store ID will just work when Apple One is released. Plan to keep separate accounts.

Reactions: ohbrilliance

ohbrilliance

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Thanks, Chris!

They recommended creating a new account on my computer that I sign up for iCloud with my App Store ID, sign up for iCloud storage, then delete the computer user.

That sounds like a good strategy. The hope is that once signed up to iCloud storage on the App Store account, I'd have 4TB shared family storage, and then if I unsubscribe from my iCloud account I'd have 2TB and everything would still be there.

Chrisbc

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2015
I haven’t tried it yet. Please Let me know how it goes.

Might be better to just wait for the bundle and activate, then cancel your other storage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.