changing AT&T data plan will affect contract date?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yanki01, Jun 15, 2012.

1. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

I'm having a brain fart and should know this question - I also didnt find it on google. My mom is on the 200MB data plan because she never used her internet, maybe 50MB/month on average for a good while there. She has wifi at home but now wants the 300MB because she's been hovering around the 200MB mark the past few months. by changing to the 300MB plan, will it affect her contract date which she's the 2nd user on my contract? she might want the iP5 if or when it comes out. I appreciate the help on my non-productive Friday I'm having.

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I don't think it should, but they certainly could do it that way.

(For example, my father in law had trouble with AT&T where his wife was denied an upgrade for no reason because they interpreted her changing from a dumb phone to my old iPhone 3G as an "iPhone upgrade." A year later when she tried to get the iPhone 4 for $200, they denied her the upgrade because "she'd bought one last year." Never-mind that I gave it to her for free. He had to fight with them for an hour to fix it.)

So I'd suggest doing this in a store and confirming this question with the person there 5 or 6 times as you do it.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No.
    You can change anything you want on your account, your contract date will be the same.

4. yanki01 thread starter macrumors 68040

yanki01

yea I thought it wouldn't but I had a bad experience with Sprint regarding this and was stuck with my phone for another 2yrs a while back. my girlfriend also is still in the same issue because her mom upgraded her own messaging plan and ruined everyone in the plan which was their whole family. I thought I read somewhere AT&T was different in that area. I'll verify later at my local AT&T store. thank you!

----------

thanks for clearing it up for me.

5. saberz macrumors regular

I never had an issue with AT&T, Verizon or T-Mobile with changing data, text or voice plan minutes. They just care that you pay your bill and ride that contract out. Besides you can literally break contract with ANY of them a few months after signing. Every time I sign up i get 7pm nights and weeknlend calling, 90 days later its "changed" to after 9pm. Keep an eye on that if you want to stick it to em if they screw you over.

6. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

Your contract will only change if/when you renew it. What can change is your upgrade date depending on how much you pay / month. Unless AT&T has changed this.