Changing HDD to SSD Mojave

CB98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2018
I am about to change an HDD to an SSD for someone with a 2012 non-retina 15 inch MacBook Pro running Mojave which has just started to slow down a lot. I am slightly overwhelmed by all the possible ways of cloning the original drive to the SSD. Carbon Copy Cloner is installed on the computer. What is the best way of cloning the drive? I am thinking of installing a fresh copy of Mojave on the SSD and then using Migration - how exactly would I go about installing Mojave on the SSD if it is connected with a USB cable to the computer?
[doublepost=1542585429][/doublepost]What I'm thinking I will do is install fresh Mojave onto the new SSD whilst its connected via USB, and then just use migration assistant to put TM backup onto it... This is arguably simpler than cloning, and the fresh install should do some good.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Connect the SSD via USB and make sure it’s Mac formatted.

Download Mojave and you should be able to select the external SSD as the destination. Install Mojave onto the SSD then shut everything down. Install the SSD in the Mac, put your HD into the enclosure, boot up, and select the HD when you’re prompted to migrate data

CB98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2018
Connect the SSD via USB and make sure it’s Mac formatted.

Download Mojave and you should be able to select the external SSD as the destination. Install Mojave onto the SSD then shut everything down. Install the SSD in the Mac, put your HD into the enclosure, boot up, and select the HD when you’re prompted to migrate data
Thanks!

kagharaht

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2007
You might experience the external USB SSD Boot Disk bug. From a cold boot or reboot, it may take up to 2 minutes before the Apple Logo pops up and the actual boot process starts.

CB98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2018
You might experience the external USB SSD Boot Disk bug. From a cold boot or reboot, it may take up to 2 minutes before the Apple Logo pops up and the actual boot process starts.
Thank you for the warning. I’m assuming this will take place after I have installed Mojave on the new SSD and it is rebooting?

EDIT

I wanted to add; can I eliminate this possibility by downloading the installer and doing it that way? Or will it still reboot to the SSD?

Last edited: