Changing location on the iPhone (ie flying out of the country)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jacobsen1, Apr 2, 2009.

1. jacobsen1 macrumors member

My Dad just flew to Costa Rica with his iPhone. We're actually on the phone now skype to my landline...

anyway, how can you reset the GPS to "tell" it you're in costa rica (or anywhere)? He's had no problems using the phone there or using it here with GPS here, he just can't get the GPS to find itself down there...

TIA

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

The GPS requires a data connection to work. If he has the data turned on or using wifi it should work.

3. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

wifi + gps will work to load local maps

I would not do data plan+ gps in costa rica, those data rates are going to be astronomical !

4. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I don't know if it will work, but maybe you should try to reset network settings? The iPhone's GPS uses cell towers and wifi to help it find its location, maybe a reset will help.

5. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

no it doesn't, all it needs is a gps signal

if you have gps but no data ( no wifi or 3g) you will still get a blue dot that tracks you.. but the map will not show up

using wi-fi you can load at the very least 2-3 city blocks ( this worked for me in JAPAN)

6. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/7A259g Safari/525.20)

I know the gps is all it takes but since the iPhone's gps uses cell towers and wifi to help it find its location maybe now it's "confused" because it doesn't find the usual towers. That's why I suggested to reset the network settings.