Changing my Order: 2.66GHz 12-core to a 3.33GHz 6-core

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by CyCoPaTh, Aug 20, 2010.

1. CyCoPaTh macrumors newbie

Dear All,

To cut a long story short - after reading through the great expert opinions on these forums, I've seen the light and am changing my 2.66 Ghz 12-core order to 3.33 Hex-a-core...

My MAIN reason for this is that it will be the fastest for anything I want to do in the next year or two.

Beyond that hopefully a fully revamped SandyBridge Mac Pro should be out. I would then hope to be able to sell my 3.33 Hexcore and buy the new model, as i have read several others intend to do.

My question is: How confident can I be of being able to sell the hexcore model in 1-2 years time? Has anyone had success selling 'last years' model to buy the latest one? Do you sell them on eBay typically and what kind of a loss can I expect?

Thank you!

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I sold my '06 2.66 QC a couple weeks ago for $1300. Not bad for a 4 year old computer. It cost me $2200 new. If it were a PC my only option would be to take it to the hazmat recycle center.

I've been selling my previous Macs for years and never had a problem getting a reasonable price -- typically 40-50% of MSRP before upgrades after 3-4 years. Depends when you sell whether the upgrades have much value or not. I once sold a year old PowerMac just before MW for 85% of what I paid. It was a terrific deal for me b/c the new ones turned out to be less expensive and more powerful so I came out even and with a better machine.

However, don't think of a computer as an "investment," and selling at less than you paid as a "loss". A computer is a consumer commodity. You are paying for the value it gives you to serve your end purpose. If it has a cash value at the end of that time and you sell it then it just lowers your cost that's all.

3. chrisS macrumors member

How do you sell your old Macs ? eBay, Craigslist ?

4. skiffx macrumors 6502a

Wow, thats not bad at all. Im glad to hear that.

5. snouter macrumors 6502a

I use Craigslist. I have not trusted ebay for years.

I think there will be a STRONG resale market (ie easy to sell and you'd get a decent price) for used six cores for a long time.

I hardly ever see used Mac Pros.

6. CyCoPaTh thread starter macrumors newbie

7. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

In UK its quite easy to sell if you are prepared for the risks/hassle. It must be the same in the US?

8. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

Wow, the cost of ownership for that machine was a whooping $0.62/day