Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msans

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
My Dell Monitor (U2715H) has a USB charging port - "Quickly charge BC1.2 compatible and other USB devices with a USB 3.01 port found on the rear of the monitor that supplies high-speed charging and powering."

I couldn't find coherent specs on what kind of charge this provided. Is it possible to charge a new 15" MacBook Pro from this port? Wishful thinking? I'm hoping to use my existing monitor as a desktop hub with as few cables as possible.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
My Dell Monitor (U2715H) has a USB charging port - "Quickly charge BC1.2 compatible and other USB devices with a USB 3.01 port found on the rear of the monitor that supplies high-speed charging and powering."

I couldn't find coherent specs on what kind of charge this provided. Is it possible to charge a new 15" MacBook Pro from this port? Wishful thinking? I'm hoping to use my existing monitor as a desktop hub with as few cables as possible.

Those ports sounds like they are for charging phones and tablets at 5 Volts.

The MacBooks Pros need a lot more power delivered at higher voltage, 20 volts and at up to 5 Amps. The voltage and current are defined in the Wikipedia entry for USB, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB. Look for the heading "USB Power Delivery (UPD)".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.