Charged my new AW overnight with the piece of plastic still on the charger... Should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by zooby, Oct 24, 2015.

1. zooby, Oct 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  2. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

No worries. I charged mine for a week (or longer) before I realized the plastic was on there, and that was almost 4 months ago. I think the only advantage to removing the plastic is that the magnetic connection between watch and charger will be a little stronger. The heat is normal with or without the plastic. My watch is usually cool when I take it off the charger, but sometimes it is quite warm. When I tried watches on in the store they were all quite warm when they took them off the charger.

3. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

No need to worry! I too would have missed that if the people in the store didn't take it off for me. (It was at 25% out of the box) so I'm sure this happens quite often!

4. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

Its not a problem, but curious what you might think it could do that would be bad? Worse case, it doesn't charge at all until you take it off.

5. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

I left the plastic on mine for at least a couple weeks to protect the charger puck. Finally peeled it off when I was sure I wouldn't return it.

It's fine.

6. srshaw macrumors 6502

7. starbot macrumors regular

I think he was worried it could've overheated and damaged the device-- his concern is certainly not un-founded.. it's true the plastic would insulate the device to a small degree, preventing it from dissipating as much heat (by convection/radiation) through the metal case.

That being said, the thermal design margins likely allow for everything from a full-on protective case users may use on the device, to charging at elevated temperatures, charging in the box ala AW Edition, etc etc.