charger has stop my mbp from working with ne other charger

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cyclone696, Jul 3, 2012.

1. cyclone696 macrumors newbie

hay guys i hav a mac book pro laptop dont know much of what it is? coz of the issue iam having ant got power and the back is all faded and cant read it i can see its 2010 but the thing i need help with is !!!!

the kids broke the old Genuine 60W Apple MacBook Pro ADAPTER so i got a new one same kind and when i got it, i plug it in it work so i left it to charge, and whne i came back 15 20 mins latter it was not working.
    the light will not turn on so i took it to a shop that sells them to try there chargers and there charger didnt work?
    wot has happen to it and how can i fix it with cheers guys

2. cyclone696 thread starter macrumors newbie

i realy need help to how to fix this pleaz can i just replace the plug that i pluge the power cord into and wot is that call?
    coz if thats not the problem i think its going to coat 2 much ?
    but need to know if i can fix it or is it one hole part of the computer

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

I have trouble making sense of this. did you buy a new Apple charger or a 3rd party knockoff?

4. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

First of all try resetting the computers SMC http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964 As you have tried 3 or more chargers, unfortunately it`s more likely that your Mac computer has developed a problem as long as your are certain that the chargers are 100% authentic. Best thing for you to do now is find the nearest Mac authorised retailer and have the computer checked or better still an Apple store if available in your country. You can also contact Apple support and see what they recommend, they are likely to recommend a return to an authorised repar center.

5. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

His original charger was damaged by his kids, second charger worked for a short period, he than tried a least one more charger at a local retailer which also failed to charge the machine.

Authenticity of the chargers is unknown, although you dont in general see a lot of copycat Mac stuff about, unless the original charger was physically damaged logic dictates that the issue lies with the Mac. An SMC reset wont hurt outside of that it may get expensive, some MBP do have separate PSU boards which do not require the Logic Board to be replaced to rectify a charging issue.

6. cyclone696 thread starter macrumors newbie

lol YIP thats it in a nut shell lol

ok so this is were iam at
    I did a SMC reset witch didnt change a thing, so i hav looked all over the net and have come to think its the magsafe power board inside my MBP.
    i hav taken it out and iam going to replace that and see, well hope like hell thats my problem.
    pleaz let me know if u think iam on the right track or if iam way off???

thank you 4 ur feedback

ps sorry i didnt finnsh school lol

7. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I believe so, I would just make sure that you do have a 100% working charger. if it works on another machine that should be good enough. Just bear in mind that once you change the power supply board the fault may still remain, which is then likely to be the Logic Board.

ifixit.com will be able to show you detailed breakdowns of you machine. Apple uses a thread locking on many of the screws, so it there is a lot of resistance when removing any, just use a little heat (hair-drier) so you don't damage any of the screw heads which can be difficult to remedy.

8. cyclone696 thread starter macrumors newbie

YEA i know just hope like hell it dose the job.
    i did take the power board in to a sparky i know and he said it looks like the resistor has burnt out but its hard to see or say so?
    but if that did happen and it blow the resistor would it stop there? or do u think i mite hav a problem with the logic board from it????
    i have found one on ebay that i just payed 4 so just need to wait and try and see wot happens
    hope 4 the best

cheers Queen6

9. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Much depends on the design of the circuitry, in general such boards are designed to fail first and protect the primary boards, however I don't have explicit knowledge of the design so I am very much generalising.

Best way to put it to you is that; you have little to loose and much to gain by trying.

10. cyclone696 thread starter macrumors newbie

well grate news

i got my magsafe power board 2day and install it but didnt use the same charger that started this off in the 1st place.
    so i went to the shop and use there one and she WORKS, but when it started up it just went to a folder with a ? in the middle of it ??? wot dose that mean?
    my problem now is finding a charger that wont blow it, can i use ne charger or dose it hav to be the one thats made to works with Apple MacBook Pro MC374LL/A? or ant they all just all good to use?
    this is the one i got from trade me ?(nz ebay) Genuine 60W Apple MacBook&Air A1185 A1278 ADAPTER that should be fine a?

11. cyclone696 thread starter macrumors newbie

i still need help pleaz HELP ME

i got power now and all that but now my computer turns on and chargers up but cant find the hard drive to boot off.

i tested the hard drive and its not that but it was wipe, and when i run from the boot disk it wont install (coz it cant find the hd) but if i hold option whit the boot disk in, it shows up but no hard drive.
    wot is the problem now????
    is it the logic board??????
    i cant do ne thing ous at start up, holding the option key is the only one that works.
    can some one pleaz let me know how to fix it or do i just need a new MB

thankz

12. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Take it to the apple store!

I would just take it to the apple store and have them look at it. Especially considering that these can catch on fire and blow up.