Charges Expected To Be Filed Against MOA Protest Organizers

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Dec 22, 2014.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/...-file-charges-against-moa-protest-organizers/

slippery slope, I do NOT in any way support this.

2. Gym Hellwig macrumors regular

I do support this. It's private property. You have no right to enter my home to protest. Sorry.

3. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I think I do. Peaceful protests on public land is one thing. Shutting down a private business is another.

4. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

so how many businesses get to apply & sue when they are in the path of the protest? should the TEA party or OWS or any other protest group be limited to "free" speech areas

5. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

How is it a slippery slope? I don't follow that.

----------

I think this is totally on the mark.

6. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I don't know. I do know that there is a difference between walking down a public street and possibly blocking people from getting into businesses and walking into the building of a business and not leaving when causing a disruption. You have the right to your private land. Businesses can't sue over a protest coming down the street just like they can't sue if people can't park because PSEG is ripping up the street and laying down new gas lines.

7. Gym Hellwig macrumors regular

If you negatively effect a place of business, that business has every right to pursue legal redress.

8. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

ok, makes sense,thanks.

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    They can protest on the sidewalks, though. Anything that's government property is free game.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Seems pretty bad to sue protest organisers for protesting in a shopping centre. I get that its private land, but still...

11. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

If they are protesting on private property, also known as trespassing, and impeding someone's ability to earn from property, yeah they should be forced to compensate the impacted parties.

12. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Good. Throw their behinds in jail for a while.

13. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Suing them gives them a pulpit, and jailing them makes them a martyr.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I wonder whether churches count as private property?

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I look forward to hearing about your protest inside the Pentagon.

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Why wouldn't they be? They typically get tax exempt status, not the same as being publicly owned.

Anyone who is for protests on private property should have no problem with someone protesting inside their house, do you serve dinner too?

Not only that but this particular movement seems to have no concept of what protesting is, if black lives matter they should really deviate from their loot and burn tactics which is likely to get another one of them killed.

Also not sure why they choose MOA, they should be rioting in their own neighbourhoods where black on black crime is abhorrent.

17. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I spent Saturday afternoon across I494 at the Minneapolis - St Paul Airport. I wish the group would have migrated their protest there. I could have used the entertainment.

18. pdjudd macrumors 601

From the OP:

It was a PR stunt and nothing more. I think they deserve to have charges placed on them. The mall is private property and unless they have permission to protest from the owners (they don’t), then they need to protest in an area where protesting doesn’t require permission or they need to protest in a area where they are permitted access. The MOA, is not one of those areas. At that point, they are not protesters, they are trespassers.

Frankly, bringing the protests here is silly anyhow since MN has nothing to do with what they are protesting and the Mall has nothing to do with it either.

19. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Completely agree.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

In which case the U.S. is no better than Russia - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/P***y_Riot

----------

Residential property (or even offices) are very different as they aren't usually open to the public.

There were certainly protests over this stuff in Westfield Shopping Centre in London. I can't imagine anyone is going to be procesuted.

----------

So you were AOK with Putin pressing charges on P***y riot?

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

From the ACLU ...

This is an excellent example of a regulation/restriction of a cherished constitutional right.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So out of the hundreds of people each year killed by police each year unnecessarily in the US none of them have been in Minnesota?

----------

If the U.S. wants to follow that rule for de facto public spaces like shopping centres that's fine. But it just makes you as unreasonable as Russia under Putin.

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Every protest i've taken part in has been on public property. But for those interested in upping the ante—when the location permitted—protestors could simply step across the forest company's property line and be arrested on the spot.

And some always chose to do it.

24. TimelessOne macrumors regular

Remember freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences.
    This is a case where they where ask to leave and refused. The reason they were ask was not over race, sex one of the protected classes. It was over protest.

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Surely trespass is only a civil offence so you can't be arrested for it?