Charging for podcasts in iOS6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by metsjetsfan, Jun 27, 2012.

1. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

With the new Apple podcast app and with some people noticing the redeem button. What are people's thoughts of apple charging for podcasts. Some thoughts/questions:

1) Could this eventually hurt some people who rely on ads. People don't pay and as a result podcasts lose advertisers, downward spiral.
    2) If charging goes well, will we have less ads?
    3) What cut will apple take?

2. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

It's possible, but I would assume they would make it worth the money, rather than just slapping a price tag on them without any changes. There will still be plenty of free podcasts regardless.

3. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

Some podcasts are already pay and have been since the beginning. It's entirely up to the podcast.

4. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

Again, much like apps, apple has no say if a podcast wants to charge or not. What are we discussing here?

5. metsjetsfan thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes but theycan facilitate and make it easier for everyone.

6. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

It's already easy from the iTunes store, which is what the app is accessing. Nothing has changed except they added an app for podcasts. You could always charge for a podcast before. Literally nothing has changed in the podcast store because of this app. It's just another way to access it. I think this is a discussion for the sake of itself unless I'm missing something. It's easier to get podcasts now regardless of if they are free or not. If you were searching for podcasts from the iTunes store before, you got both the free and pay ones. Apple didn't regulate who should and should not be free in the past. It's entirely up to the podcasts.