Charging iPhone with iPad Adapter

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TallManNY, Mar 18, 2012.

1. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

I often charge both my iPhone and iPad off of the iPad adapter plugged into a wall. That charges the iPhone very quickly (especially the first part to get it to about 70%). I know that the iPad adapter is a little more powerful. Could there by any problem with charging an iPhone with it?

I also sometimes trickle charge off of a USB hub plugged into my computer. That is a fairly slow process. So sometimes my iPhone is being force-fed energy and sometimes just a dribble. I haven't noticed any problems but I was wondering if there is any cause for concern.

2. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

No, there's no cause for concern. The iPad charger just allows the iphone to draw a little more current than it does from a 1 amp charger. Current isn't being force-fed into the phone.

3. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

The iPhone pulls power when it needs to, you'll be fine...I use the iPad charger with my iPhone all the time.

4. k3roro macrumors 6502

Hmm, I remember reading in the MacBook forum that if you use the higher voltage (MacBook Pro) to charge MacBook Air, it would be fine, but if it's the other way around, then the MacBook Pro won't get enough voltage.

5. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

If the iPad charger was rated at 5V 200Amps, you would be ok.

6. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

So I could get an iPad adapter and use it for my 4S with no problems? I don't own an iPad but if it's going to charge my iPhone faster without causing any problems then I don't see why not to get an iPad adapter.

7. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Yes, you could.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, you can use an iPad charger to charge an iPhone without any issues. It should charge it a bit faster as well.

9. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I guess I'm going to get one in the next few days then.

But why doesn't Apple just give us the same adapter with iPhones if you're saying it'll be faster with no consequences?

10. cynics macrumors G3

Most likely due to manufacturing expense.

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

They are bigger, more expensive, and use more power. Plus they don't fit into the iPhone box with everything else.

12. takeshi74 macrumors 601

It won't charge faster than what the device is capable of. It will charge faster than USB/500mA.

13. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The iPhone is capable of charging at 1.5A. The iPhone's cube shaped charger outputs 1.0A. The iPad's 2A. The iPhone will benefit from the extra 0.5A.

14. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Higher Voltage is a problem. Higher Amperage at the same voltage is OK