Charging iPhone with iPad charger damages the phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ipadlover29, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

I was in an apple store earlier today purchasing an iPad 12W charger for my iPhone 6 plus. I overheard an employee telling a customer that it would damage their iPhone if they charged it with an iPad charger. She said to the customer that the iPad charger was meant for an iPhone and that the iPhone's battery wouldnt last as long in the long run. I later told the customer that its fine to use an iPad charger and that would it just charge his iPhone faster.

I am doubting myself now. Just wondering what everybody else thinks about this? I havent opened my newly purchased iPad charger, but, have been using my charger that came if with iPad air with my 6 plus for a few days now.

2. seasurfer macrumors 6502a

I used my iPad charger to to charge my iPhone 4s and 5s, never had a problem, I do not feel that the battery life got shorter. But I do feel that iOS 8 made these 2 phones batter life shorter.

3. aristobrat macrumors G5

Apple says you use iPad chargers to charge iPhones and they don't mention that it will damage/shorten the life:

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202105

4. Ipadlover29 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks I was looking for something official from Apple. That clears it up for me. I knew it was ok just wanted to be 100% sure since that apple employee put some doubt in my head.

5. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

The charge rate is always determined by the device, not the wall charger.