Charging IPod in the Car w/out the cigarette lighter??

Discussion in 'iPod' started by kochmm, Aug 18, 2008.

1. kochmm macrumors newbie

Help
    I am looking for a way to play my IPod and also charge it in the car.
    The issue is that I can not use the cigarette lighter to charge it. Is there a cord that can plug into the dock and the AUX in the car stereo (Rogue-Nissan) and charge it? :confused:
    Thanks!

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

The AUX port doesn't provide any power output so you can't charge through it.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The only thing you could really do would involve physical (behind the instrument panel) modifications to tap DC power off and provide it to the dock adapter. This is what things like Denison ICE Link do. If you want someone to do this for you, budget about $200 for it. If you have the skills to do it yourself, I guess you probably would not have made this thread. ;)

Otherwise, why can't you use any of the power ports inside the cabin? If the issue is that they're broken, a Nissan Rogue is a pretty new car -- it must still be under warranty, non? Get them fixed. If the issue is that they're all in use, one option might be to either get a multiplexing adapter (the equivalent of the power strips you buy at home). Another option might be to replace a few things that you use in your car with AC wall power devices from your home, and then buy and use an DC/AC inverter ($20-30, provides typically at least two 120VAC plug points for US versions) and use them on it. I have one in my car and I charge my iPod with a Firewire charging brick on it (and can of course also use it for my phone, my notebook computer, etc).