Charging Time for New MacBooks- It seems like they take their sweet time

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Clancycoop, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Clancycoop macrumors member

I recently upgraded to one of the new 2.4GH Alum MacBooks from the previous Gen Black 2.2GH MacBook (bought in Dec. 2007).

I haven't done any serious tests, but have had the sneaking suspicion that it takes longer to charge up than my old one, without any serious changes to my battery life. Has anyone else noticed this?

2. MGLXP macrumors regular

Yes, the MacBook takes quite a bit longer to charge compared to previous generation notebooks. The MacBook Air also takes 4-5hours to charge from 0% to 100%.

3. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

The new MBPs take forever to charge too. Wonder what's changed.

4. dnguyen macrumors regular

noticed this too..so far the battery is my only complaint

5. christiemp macrumors regular

christiemp

Yeah the battery is doing it's share of SUCKING. Did they downgrade the battery and not tell us?

6. sJv macrumors regular

Are your computers off or sleeping when you are charging, or are you using your computer at the same time? The power brick can only deliver so much power, so if it has to supply power to a running system, it may take away from the battery charger.

Also, Apple may have tweaked the charging circuit in the new systems to make the battery last longer (withstand more charge cycles). Heat is the enemy of battery longevity. Charging them will heat them up. Reducing the charge current will lower the temperature.

-steve