Charities check immigration status for toy drives

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Dec 1, 2009.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Link

This is just disgusting. These are kids FFS. Let's not turn this into an immigration debate or get it moved to PRSI.

The Salvation Army will never get another dime from me. :mad:

2. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but it kinda makes sense. Why should Americans spend money on illegal immigrants?

3. Creative One macrumors 6502

Creative One

Agreed.

Also I think this should be moved to PRSI

4. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I agree.

Don

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Because legal or illegal these people are still poor children.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I won't donate money to any organizations that support illegal immigrants.

7. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

To all the 'principled' people above, these are children we're talking about. Their only 'crime' was to go where their parents brought them to try and give them a better life.

What say does an eight year old have in where he lives? Does he not deserve the same quality of life as a native born eight year old?

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i guess there is a lot of dislike for illegal immigrants in a country that was founded by 'illegal' immigrants.

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

As soon as you show us the law that was broken when we immigrated here you will have a point. Until then...

Their parents broke the law, life is tough. I don't know why people who came here illegally would expect handouts anyways, we have plenty of our own homeless, starving, etc.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

cant bring some joy into the lives of people otherwise (generally) miserable conditions?

These are children for christs sake.

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I'm pretty sure this is how Jesus would handle the situation as well. Between this and the annual melee of capitalism that is Black Friday I'm just all awash in the Christmas spirit right now...

Lethal

12. OriginalFormula macrumors regular

So if your parents moved as a child, did you refuse to go with them out of principle?

13. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

that is pretty wacked

so much for empathy.
    i really have a hard time to believe than anyone supports this.

[​IMG]

unfortunately that sentiment that poor people are poor because they deserve to be poor is as american as apple pie.

besides, i wonder if the salvation army ringers ask for immigration status when they ask tourist to donate money...

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well the Native American's didn't have immigration laws at the time so it would be hard to prove that the pilgrams and founders were illegal immigrants, but given the murdering, and over-taking of the land that is now the United States, and hence why i had the quotes around 'illegal' the second time it was used.

i don't even believe in Jesus, but i'm sure he's weeping somewhere right now. the monstrosity that Christmas has become is so very discouraging.

15. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

They're kids born into poverty without any say in the matter. It pains me to see when two people bring a child into this world when they cannot afford it. I am witnessing this first hand currently and really, I would never refrain from helping the child because I don't believe in what the parents have done. Likewise, these children didn't set out to be here, but they're here and I believe in taking care of the children ... no matter their immigration status. Hell, some may even grow up to be fine people whereas there are a few "Americans" I'd love to deport.

17. adder7712 macrumors 68000

adder7712

This soooo wrong. :(

Poor kids, they're humans too. :(

18. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Are you Chinese?

Can you prove that your ancestors weren't criminals or lunatics?

Were you ancestors fluent in English?

Did your ancestors meet this exclusionary quota?

Perhaps your ancestors emigrated to Canada, or Mexico and simply walked over the border as so many of them did if they didn't meet the US' standards?

Prove to me that your ancestors came here legally. Quite of few of them probably didn't. Or, IF they did, it might be because other than the asian exclusion acts or enemies of the state, there was no such thing as legal or illegal. There were only migrants looking for a better life.

19. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

and that too.
    there are so many reasons why this isn't right. and taking it out on the kids isn't going to solve anything.

20. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I've never given to the Salvation Army and I never will. They're simply too exclusionary. Any organization who has tax exempt status should be barred from discriminating. I'm sick and tired of being forced to support charities that are only feel good clubs for religious whackos.

21. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Really, these are donated toys for cripes sake, donated to bring joy to those less fortunate... Does it really bother you what kind of children recieve charity?

Personally I was always under the impression that those toys went to all needy children of the world, not just American children. Learned something new...

22. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

This is despicable. It's Christmas. Let the kids have some marginally OK cheap toys that somebody stuffed in a donation bin.

We need to stop focusing on "classes" of people like this, and punishing these poor kids for whatever their parents have done wrong.

This makes me really sad.

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So the tots weren't made in America... I wonder how many of the toys were? :p

24. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

So I suppose we should start rounding up all the little ones, huh? :rolleyes: Charles Manson has 3 kids, guess we could start with them...

These are children for goodness sake. They aren't, nor should they be, responsible for their parents' actions.

25. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Reread quoted response... Dictionary... Founders..