Charles Darwin film too controversial for US release

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Sep 13, 2009.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-too-controversial-for-religious-America.html

The Passion of the Christ is OK, but this one isn't. The hypocrisy is astounding :rolleyes:

If this gets released on Blu Ray region free, I will be importing a copy. A bunch of religious nutjobs aren't getting in the way of me enjoying what appears to be an excellent movie.

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Someone will release it. All they have to do is keep pushing.

4. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

It's like America wants the world to find it a hilarious embarrassment to the rest of humanity.

5. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

WTF.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hilter was a Christian.

EDIT- rather, he was not anti-religious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Hitler's_religious_beliefs

7. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

8. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I know right?

So ridiculous, "freedom of speech" & "land of the free" have become to 2 biggest contradictions I've ever heard when spoken by Americans about America...

The day Americans are truly free will be when the hell they so solemnly believe in freezes over.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Sometimes I really think this country is pathetic. Like a bully that knows they are big, but doesn't try to better itself at all.

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I'd like to see the research on only 39% of Americans believing in evolution.

Could it just be a lame movie, or something American audiences just aren't interested in? We do seem to have trouble with accents...

And where do those who declined to pick up the film say that it's just too controversial? From the article I got that it simply didn't get a US distributor (hardly unheard of for foreign films) and Anita Singh simply took off from there.

11. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

I don't understand why so many people think evolution and a belief in a creator are mutually exclusive. It disgusts me that the issue is so frequently framed in this way.

12. nick9191 macrumors 68040

bcoz evolutshan is agains teh bible lolzlolz111!!!one1

13. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

What did the "creator" do?

14. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Can someone recall how this one was treated:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095497/

I attended a catholic school and my Biology teacher was a priest and he explained very well the evolution theory.

God created everything and the creatures evolved, there is nothing mutually exclusive there.

15. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I find it hilarious that a biopic is too controversial, yet if you want to watch Willem Dafoe get his genitals mutilated there's a film for that.

16. djellison macrumors 68020

No you don't. 5 seconds with google and I've found the facts. You could have done the same - anyone who ACTUALLY wanted to see the research WOULD do the same.

But you elected to not look for it at all.

For those who do actually which to see the evidence - http://www.gallup.com/poll/114544/darwin-birthday-believe-evolution.aspx

On the up-side, there is evidence of progress
    http://www.gallup.com/poll/117409/Easter-Smaller-Percentage-Americans-Christian.aspx

Err - WE evolved, every animal evolved. So what was created, exactly?

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The idea he's trying to get across is a creator created, and everything evolved from there. Sure it sounds like a nice compromise, but as usual, its slapping science in the face.

18. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

To evolve from what? What was the origin?

I haven't read Darwin's book, so what does he say is the origin of all of us?

What was the first thing?

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The evolution theory has nothing to do with the origin of life. Anyone that doesn't know that doesn't know **** about evolution theory.

20. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

That is a question for science to discover. God can reside there for the time being though.

As NT1440 says evolution doesn't deal with abiogenesis. They are linked but different. And you should read it.

21. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

It's worth reading On the Origin of Species. It's an interesting, and paradigm changing read.

22. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

What paradigm does it change in 2009?
    I mean even there are still people that don't like it or believe in evolution, for people that understand that species evolve what is new for us?

23. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Free Speech does not guarantee movie distribution anymore than it guarantees people get their own radio or TV shows. And doesn't "land of the free" mean people in this case have the right to choose whether or not to distribute the film? Forcing a person, or company, to distribute the film is as bad as banning them from distributing it.

Lethal

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Its nice to actually be informed about what you're talking about. Seeing as you seemed to think evolution had something to do with the beginning of life, I would read up so you are clear on what it really deals with so there is no more confusion.:)