Charles Rangel pushing for women to register with Selective Service

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ugahairydawgs, Feb 15, 2013.

1. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

There's a new wrinkle in the bill Rep Rangel puts up every new Congress to try and re-institute the draft. According to him:

Should women be required to register with the Selective Service?

http://thehill.com/video/house/283387-rangel-to-introduce-legislation-to-reinstating-the-draft-

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I am for this

As is, gender discrimination at its finest

In this age of gender equality, women should be subject to the same things, the good and the bad.

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

If you're going to keep selective service, then yeah, women should have to register.

But really, it should just be eliminated. There's no need for a draft in the 21st century so the selective service system is just a waste of government resources.

You wanna talk about cuts to save money and lower the deficit? There's one right there.

Nukes ended the need of having millions of infantry soldiers. Wars of the future will be fought with aircraft, drones, and special forces teams.

4. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Ironic that the feminists and equal rights crowds aren't out there beating the drum demanding that they be allowed to register.

5. eric/ Guest

eric/

6. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Why ironic?

It's only been a few weeks since it was announced that women would be allowed in infantry positions....it wouldn't make sense to ask for equality in SS, when there still wasn't equality in the armed forces. And let's face it, will there ever be?

Feminists and "equal rights" crowds have to pick and choose their battles. Starting with the relevant and the most important. Things like equal pay, marriage, choice, etc. are much more important because they effect us in the here and now.

In reality, do you think there will ever be a draft again? Every gun owner is part of a militia aren't they? Pick those guys and gals first....;)

7. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Yes, it was just announced recently but why no uproar prior to it since after all, equality is what they spew. You are right, they do "pick and choose" their battles. Whatever works for them they run with, whatever doesn't, silence. That's not equality if it's not across the board. Hypocrisy at it's finest. ;)

8. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

You don't really think so-called feminists want real equality do you?

That's a farce.

9. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Equality doing its job.

Also, how about men being able to defend themselves/hit a woman back in a fistfight and not go to jail for it? I grew up with the "it's ALWAYS wrong to hit a lady even if she hit you first" mantra and I can't tell you how sick I am of it. I've read stories of men who have been arrested for subduing a woman by hitting her back even if she started the fight!

Let's rise up brothers and get the men's rights movement going!

10. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

No, I don't.

11. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Ignorance also seems to be at its finest.

There were plenty of people who have been "beating a drum demanding" for years that women get equal opportunities in the military. So, if you're implying that women only ask for things that are pretty and all rainbow like, you're dead wrong.

Equality comes in steps. Don't you believe that equality in the military should have come before equality in the draft?

12. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

There is no equality in the military because women get modified standards.

Until there is one standard I don't want to hear it.

13. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Nothing wrong with this. But as for reinstating the draft...helllllll no. First of all it will weaken the military to have people there who don't want to be there, and it would be political suicide for any politician who votes to reinstate it.

14. haxrnick, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013

haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Yes, I'm saying exactly that. Feminists only demand rights for what works for the movement. Whether you want to call it "pretty and all rainbow like" or not. Is this where it slowly turns to I'm a racist homophobe woman-hating fear-mongoring capitalist?

15. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I have to agree, feminism is a joke. They don't want equality, they want superiority. We should create masculists to counter balance them. We need more people standing up for the rights of men, especially in custody and divorce cases. Men get screwed over routinely by women and if you get a female judge that's the end of you.

16. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

In that way, I don't disagree.

There are many ways (not just in the military) where true equality is almost impossible to achieve. The same for equality for men.

Mindsets have to be changed before policies can be. And this country has shown, even in 2013, that we are a long way from believing that women can be true equals with men. Hopefully as time goes on, this will change. I think we're also seeing (albeit slowly) a shift in things like paternity suits and custody battles. Something that I believe needs to be looked at more closely. There are many ways where men get shafted as well.

50 years ago, who would have thought that men would get maternity leave (or paternity leave, I guess)? Times, they are changing.

17. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Lol, I appreciate your sense of humor and got a good laugh out of "masculists". Well played.

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Since women have been cleared for combat roles, then they should register with Selective Service.

19. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

In a way, I'm kinda serious. Maybe there should be groups who look out for the rights of men, I would be interested in starting something.

20. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

No. I don't think you're a capitalist. ;)

21. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Yeah, that's all we need. Another loud-mouthed group demanding things that only work for their cause.
    Of all things. Ouch. :)

22. thehustleman macrumors 65816

If men are required to women should be too.

They should also be charged the same for insurance and other things. We need a law...

23. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

No, this would be a male group, meaning more rational/logical and less emotional.

24. ugahairydawgs thread starter macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

[​IMG]

25. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Oh, no you didn't?!?! :eek: