Charlie Fuqua, Arkansas Candidate, Endorses Death Penalty For Rebellious children

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Oct 8, 2012.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

we have seen some real crazy so far but this is getting to the top of the list. Each time I think it can't get worse another nut job kicks it up a notch.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...th-penalty-rebellious-children_n_1948490.html
    Charlie Fuqua, the Republican candidate for the Arkansas House of Representatives who called for expelling Muslims from the United States in his book, also wrote in support for instituting the death penalty for "rebellious children."

In "God's Law," Fuqua's 2012 book, the candidate wrote that while parents love their children, a process could be set up to allow for the institution of the death penalty for "rebellious children," according to the Arkansas Times. Fuqua, who is anti-abortion, points out that the course of action involved in sentencing a child to death is described in the Bible and would involve judicial approval. While it is unlikely that many parents would seek to have their children killed by the government, Fuqua wrote, such power would serve as a way to stop rebellious children.

According to the Arkansas Times, Fuqua wrote:

The maintenance of civil order in society rests on the foundation of family discipline. Therefore, a child who disrespects his parents must be permanently removed from society in a way that gives an example to all other children of the importance of respect for parents. The death penalty for rebellious children is not something to be taken lightly. The guidelines for administering the death penalty to rebellious children are given in Deut 21:18-21:

This passage does not give parents blanket authority to kill their children. They must follow the proper procedure in order to have the death penalty executed against their children. I cannot think of one instance in the Scripture where parents had their child put to death. Why is this so? Other than the love Christ has for us, there is no greater love then [sic] that of a parent for their child. The last people who would want to see a child put to death would be the parents of the child. Even so, the Scrpture provides a safe guard to protect children from parents who would wrongly exercise the death penalty against them. Parents are required to bring their children to the gate of the city. The gate of the city was the place where the elders of the city met and made judicial pronouncements. In other words, the parents were required to take their children to a court of law and lay out their case before the proper judicial authority, and let the judicial authority determine if the child should be put to death. I know of many cases of rebellious children, however, I cannot think of one case where I believe that a parent had given up on their child to the point that they would have taken their child to a court of law and asked the court to rule that the child be put to death. Even though this procedure would rarely be used, if it were the law of land, it would give parents authority. Children would know that their parents had authority and it would be a tremendous incentive for children to give proper respect to their parents.

In the same book, Fuqua advocated for expelling Muslims from the U.S., saying it would solve what he described as the "Muslim problem." Fuqua, who has been backed by the state GOP and is seeking a comeback, has found himself under attack by Republicans since his comments surfaced at the same time it was reported that state Rep. Jon Hubbard (R-Jonesboro) endorsed slavery in his book. Fuqua told the Associated Press that he was surprised by the reaction to his writings on Muslims.

"I think my views are fairly well-accepted by most people," Fuqua said to AP.

Fuqua declined to answer questions from The Huffington Post.

"I'm not going to talk to you," he said before hanging up.

On his campaign blog, Fuqua highlights his service on the Children and Families Committee while a member of the Arkansas Legislature in 1997. He also describes liberals and Muslims as the "anti-Christ" and says he believes they are conspiring to create a "bloody revolution."

"There is a strange alliance between the liberal left and the Muslim religion. It may be that since both are the enemies of Christianity, that they both believe that, my enemy's enemy is my friend," Fuqua writes. "However there are several similarities between the two. Both are antichrist in that they both deny that Jesus is God in the flesh of man, and the savior of mankind. They both also hold that their cause should take over the entire world through violent, bloody, revolution."

His beliefs, from his website at charliefuqua4staterep.com/issues

Quote:
    -Reduce the size of government
    -Limit government power
    -Reduce taxes
    -Local control of schools
    -Traditional conservative values
    -Drug test welfare beneficiaries
    -Enforce drug laws
    -Preserve the right to bear arms
    -Protect the sanctity of life
    -Protect individual property rights

2. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I wish the GOP would crawl up in a hole and die. Their values are a danger to this country. I'm shocked that the extremism has grown to this point. If this disease isn't stopped we have a very sad future to look forward to.

3. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

The really odd part about this is that Charles Fuqua is moderately well educated, at least to the level of a high-school science (biology!) teacher, and then lawyer. He must have been a tremendous frustration to his biology teachers. Fuqua's use of biblical fragments reminds me of A.J. Jacobs "The Year of Living Biblically", that reductio ad absurdum of biblical literalism. If he wins, I wonder if Fuqua will introduce a bill describing how to square the circle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Pi_Bill

4. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

the weird thing is he gets it from this but it is not what it says. no where does it say to kill your children.
    Deuteronomy 21:18-21

18 If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him, 19 his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town. 20 They shall say to the elders, "This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a profligate and a drunkard." 21 Then all the men of his town shall stone him to death. You must purge the evil from among you. All Israel will hear of it and be afraid.

5. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I thought that the GOP was the party of Family Values, they obviously have a very different idea of what a real Family is all about.:(

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Primitive. That's the word that comes to mind for this guy.

Primitive in that he seems to want to impose a Taliban-like rigidity in how people behave, and to have them receive the ultimate punishment for digressing and expressing their individuality.

Primitive in the sense that he sounds like he's the one who wants to go to battle with the Muslim world. You know, like the Crusades.

If primitive isn't the right word, then the only other ones I can think of are "mental case".

7. AhmedFaisal, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2013
  8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Please tell me this is the left-wing mainstream media making **** up. Talk about late stage abortion.

He might not even be the most bat ***** Republican in Arkansas.

9. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I'm beginning to think that the South is slowly turning into some kind of parallel universe. Where do these freaks come up with these ideas much less the votes to keep them in office?

10. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

slavery support is nothing new. but want to kill children? that's beyond wacky and far worse. Plus he did not seem too understand what the bible was saying when he got this lunatic idea. this is Hitler style crazy here.
    I did find out the duggers donated money to his campaign. Nothing like parents of 19 children donating to a child killer wannabe.

11. Prototypical macrumors 6502

Prototypical

I wish Dems could learn to differentiate between Republicans and fringe lunatics. There are certainly lunatic Republicans, but not all Republicans are lunatics. Stereotypes are fun but useless.

Besides, what did you expect from a backwoods Arkansas candidate?

12. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

So you're telling me not to group all republicans together and in the next sentence you group all people from arkansas together? Just remember this, stereotypes don't come out of thin air. The republican party, for some reason, seems to be a breeding ground for fringe lunatics. As is the islamic faith.

13. geekgirl macrumors regular

WTF... How in the heck do these people get elected????

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Fringe, huh? It ceased to be fringe when there is a new example of the "fringe" of the party almost every day.