Chase fraud alert for iPhone preorder?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 55test55, Sep 14, 2012.

1. 55test55 macrumors 6502

Argh, for some reason chase flagged my preorder as a fraud, but emailed and asked me if it was a fraudulent charge. I selected that it was an authorized charge. Anyone had this happen? Will it FUBAR my preorder? :mad:

2. zmulleni, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

zmulleni macrumors regular

zmulleni

MOST IMPORTANTLY: Did Chase provide a link in the email or did the email prompt you to log in to your account at chase.com?

If you had to log in then you should be fine as long as you selected that you authorized the charge. This is just chase's way of covering thier tail as well as yours. It's actually more common than you think for account holders to come across this when making purchases that seem out of the ordinary or suspicious from your day to day account activity.

If you selected that you did not authorize the charge chase would more than likely contact the merchant (in this case apple or your carrier) to reverse the charges essentially cancelling your order. If they are further along in the merchant service processing then they would start an unauthorized charge claim on your account. Prob more info than you need to know but bottom line if you selected that you authorized the charge chase really has no reason to attempt to reverse or decline charges. Hope this helps!

BTW - I am not a Chase employee but I work for another major financial institution. Most unauthorized charge practices generally follow the same guidines above, but no guarantee as they are typically treated on a case by case basis. You account or transaction standing may introduce certain variables resulting in declination of sale.

Also when in doubt call Chase!

3. aneftp macrumors 68040

Think it's a scam. Don't click on it. Always call chase directly or go directly to official webpage.

I got same exact email and links to not lead to official webpage.

Think u have been scammed. Call chase ASAP now.

Cause the email reply address us @support.com. That is not chase address and link goes to some weird webpage link.

4. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

This happened to me. I clicked to let Chase know they were authorized. That was around the time I pre ordered. This morning around 9 AM I was charged the full amount and my order is fine.

5. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Folks, hopefully this was actually legit. But as a rule of thumb, never, ever click on links in emails. Always contact the site/company directly.

Signed,

2 time victim of identity theft

6. menist macrumors regular

menist

This just happen to me with my Sprint preorder. I click on authorize and got it cleared. btw, they also texted me about it too.

7. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

I actually called AMEX on Thursday so they could note my account to preauthorize the purchase from Apple. There's nothing worse than being rejected for a purchase because a fraud detection program decides that the purchase is unusual...especially in the middle of wrestling with the Apple website.