Chattanooga shooting: 4 Marines killed, a dead suspect and questions of motive.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Renzatic, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Slightly appropriate, since it involves guns. Right now, we've got all kinds of havoc being raised in my neck of the woods. A shooting at the local Navy Recruitment Center with one officer down, something going on at a local hospital, rumors of a shooting at a mall, and possibly a shooting in a Chattanooga business district. All the news channels are abuzz about it, and the FBI is on scene (likely because the shooting occurred on government property).

My phone's been ringing off the hook, and I've had to cancel some of my plans today, because all this is going down about where I was headed.

Guns. Hell yeah.

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

ARE the victims political refugees? Mafia Dons? this stuff does not happen to regular people.

CRIMINALS, yeah.

hope the CRIMINAL gets put down

3. Renzatic thread starter Suspended

Renzatic

4 marines shot, 1 officer rumored to be dead, nothing on the suspect/s so far, other than they seem to be attacking military recruitment centers, and the cops are going crazy cuz I don't think any of them have been trained for something like this. If I had left an hour earlier like I was originally planning, I would been caught in the middle of it all, since it's happening EXACTLY where I was going.

The current events have everyone shocked and appalled. The aftermath will probably be even worse. Things is about to get interesting in my neck 'o the woods.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Jihadist perhaps?

5. Renzatic thread starter Suspended

Renzatic

Jihadists would go for much higher profile targets, plus people have gone on record saying it's not terror related.

If I were to take bets, I'd say it was either some jilted ex-military vet, probably suffering from PTSD, or, on an outlier, someone angry over the Confederate flag drama.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

1. like cartoon contestants?
    2. work place violence like Obama suggested when the other shooting happened?

http://news.yahoo.com/chattanooga-a...vbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDVklQNTc3XzEEc2VjA3Nj

at least it is over.
    wonder how long before actual details emerge.

7. Renzatic thread starter Suspended

Renzatic

The official line is that it's in no way terror related. The only thing anyone knows about it, per eyewitness reports, is that someone in a silver Mustang, allegedly wearing full tactical gear, drove up to these recruitment centers, sprayed a hail of gunfire into them using an assault rifle, then drove off.

And yeah, they dropped him about half an hour ago. He's been "neutralized", and the local news channels have been discussing whether that means he's been captured or killed.

edit: he's dead.

Supposedly here in another minute. There's going to be an announcement.

What's really strange is they're sending the ATF down here to assist the FBI, which seems kind of overkill considering it was a lone shooter.

I'll probably be heading out into it here in a bit, provided the traffic has let up. I'll say one thing, we really do live in interesting times.

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

forth hood shooting WAS terror related.
    glad he croaked.
    good luck.

9. Renzatic thread starter Suspended

Renzatic

To get back to my local drama, 4 marines murdered, the gunman dead, and one police officer shot in the ankle. The government has gone on record stating that they're investing it as an act of domestic terrorism, while going out of their way to make a point that it might not be an act of domestic terrorism.

Interesting times indeed.

10. vrDrew macrumors 65816

They weren't regular people.

They were serving Marines. And I suspect they were specifically targeted for that reason. And while we can speculate as to the precise motivations for this incident, it seems pretty clear to me that the guy was acting in response to US military operations overseas, or (less likely) the sort of Islamophobia cooked up by the darker reaches of right wing media.

If someone proposed that any military office - such as a
    recruiting center - receive additional security, including armed civilian contractors; state or local law-enforcement, or MPs I'd totally support that. (BTWQ: Attacks on Federal facilities by people enraged by various reasons is more common than you might think. Which is why most Fedral Agencies have their own security staff. Hence their periodic purchases of ammunition for training.)

The one thing I can say is this: Its a hell of a lot easier for a guy named Muhammad Youssef Abdulazeez to walk into a gun store and buy a
    handful of semiautomatic firearms here in the USA than it ought to be.

And who can we thank for that?

11. Renzatic thread starter Suspended

Renzatic

I believe he used fully automatic weaponry, and he had more than one. There's a reason why the ATF has come down here in full force, likely to figure out exactly where and how he got them.

It'd be a bit of a tragic irony if our many little friendly underground arms 'n ammo swap meets ended up indirectly supporting a low ball ISIS attack.

12. webbuzz, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015

webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

BATFE routinely responds to shootings, especially when it involves a federal building and employees. I will be surprised if he had full-auto rifles.

eta: I am glad you were not caught up in this incident as you mentioned. Prayers to the victims and their families.

You think full-auto rifles are bought and sold like that?

13. Renzatic thread starter Suspended

Renzatic

I've heard plenty of rumors and hearsay, and have seen a couple of guns that people claimed were illegal. Though the stories are always the same "I've got a friend of a friend of a friend who knows a guy that..." and so on. Hardly concrete evidence. But there does seem to be a want for illegal guns around here simply because they're illegal guns, and some people are apparently getting them somehow.

Though on all of this, I'm going by the rumors on top of rumors. The current one is that he had a fully auto AK-47 alongside an alleged "bunch" of other guns that he never got the chance to use.

The only thing I can say for a fact is that there is a ton of kneejerking and fearful wailing going on, and a good deal of it is coming from people I know. It's really strange playing host to a little mini homegrown terror attack. All kinds of people are bending just slightly askew from it, saying and doing things I would've thought them incapable of saying and doing.

If I were a lot more crass, I'd start taking bets on if and when someone decides to burn down the mosque over at Silverdale. Couple this with all the tension from the Confederate flag, and this whole culture war thing is starting to feel like an actual war now.

14. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Illegal guns and full-auto are not always the same thing. Like the member that used to post on here, claiming he purchased an AOW shotgun while high, and not filling out any paperwork. A lot of people just like to talk.

There are many instances when witnesses think they heard automatic gunfire and it turns out to be semi-automatic. Whether it was adrenaline, or the sound of gunfire echoing off of neighboring buildings. Not to mention when people see an AK-47, they automatically assume it is full-auto.

Law enforcement most likely knew the source of his firearms hours ago.

I really hope it doesn't come to that.

15. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Muhammad Youssef Abdulazeez. You decide.

16. Renzatic thread starter Suspended

Renzatic

Neither do I. As for the rest, I'm just going to watch and see how it all unfolds.

17. Renzatic thread starter Suspended

Renzatic

I loved one of the quotes I saw on my Facebook page. "Oh, one of Obama's people. Why am I not surprised?"

You cut from the same cloth as them, Hax?

18. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Whether he was some guy enraged by drone strikes that killed his cousin in Yemen or Syria; or just some homegrown nut with a beef against Marines for dissing him at a dance club - it might make for spirited discussion on cable news.

But, either way, I don't think it changes the underlying problem. Its simply too easy to get hold of highly powerful, large-capacity magazine semi-automatic weapons in this country.

And before we hear from the "if only there had been armed citizens there" crowd: I think we ought to take a moment to think about that for a moment.

Firstly: No one in their right mind would seriously try to engage a guy firing a semi-automatic rifle with a concealed handgun.

And secondly: If we have gotten to the point that people are really suggesting that ordinary citizens take responsibility for providing ad hoc perimeter defense for US military installations; I think its long past time for us to start asking serious questions about our view of the world.

19. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Can't have a rational debate when you're wrong, huh? Think we're done here.

20. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

To be fair, you're implying racial profiling based on the name alone. We know absolutely nothing about the suspect, while you are immediately firing off the cuff about Renzatic being wrong in his premises.

So instead of continuing irrationally and claiming that someone else is being irrational, how about we all sit down and wait until facts come out instead of doing what you are doing.

EDIT: reported. Not because of doing anything wrong, but because the Tennessee shooting is a different issue altogether, and could be split from the topic here (Whataburger).

BL.

21. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Do you mean like how every single lefty did here with the confederate flag murders? Implying like that?

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Were all of them the same race?

BL.

23. Renzatic thread starter Suspended

Renzatic

Have I been denying it since? The fact this was an ISIS inspired attack was nigh on unthinkable at the time. It was some below the radar recruitment center in some small below the radar town. The chances of it being some local disgruntled military guy or a kid who ended up being denied by the military because he was a shrimpy little psycho would've been a far more likely guess, if you had to take guesses off the cuff.

...though that obviously didn't turn out to be the case.

The thing that irks me about isn't that I was wrong, but the practical glee I see from some people now that they know it was a Muslim kid being egged on through social media by ISIS. As if it gives proof positive to their myopic little frightened worldview, and now they're going to shout to the hills because they knew, THEY KNEW BY GOD, that it was some "raghead". One of them "other kinds".

I think it's just a little bit pathetic.

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

He went to HS and graduated from the university spent at least 10 years in the U.S.
    Some people simply don't adapt

25. Renzatic thread starter Suspended

Renzatic

I don't think it's an issue of adaptation. He came here when he was 6 from Kuwait, which at the time held America in pretty high regard. He grew up in a wealthy neighborhood, was a wrestler and MMA fighter during his stint in higher education. He graduated, got his degree, and apparently seemed set to live out the rest of his life.

...until today.

The scariest thing isn't the kid himself, it's ISIS, and how they've made preying on insecurities and contrarianism through social media a near science.