Chavez speaks to supporters: More nonsense from the guy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by joepunk, Nov 29, 2008.

1. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Be Prepared To Die For The Revolution

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2008/11/28/nyt/index.html

3. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

4. Queso macrumors G4

A couple of years ago I took the dog out one lunchtime and found Hugo Chavez outside, surrounded by a big crowd. He seemed to be rather popular, not only with the Venezuelans but also a big group of Columbians who had come along. He's a bit of a windbag, but anybody who doubts his leadership credentials is a bit myopic IMO.

5. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

¡Viva Fidel y Hugo!

6. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

Ditto

7. Desertrat macrumors newbie

His monetary/fiscal policies have wrecked the Venezuelan economy, as expected and predicted. Pretty much as the same as Castro but without the intellect and chutzpah. Outside of that, he's just another tinpot rabble-rouser with a gift for gab. It's a shame his frontal lobotomy was unsuccessful.

'Rat

8. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Why?

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Are you talking about George Bush? :confused:

11. Queso macrumors G4

Oh just quit it with this Reaganist Them and Us crap will you? The world is far too complex for a simple binary worldview to apply. No country is the good guys, no country is the evil empire. It's all just some bits right, some bits wrong.

:rolleyes:

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Not in Floriduh, it isn't.

13. Desertrat macrumors newbie

"It's all just some bits right, some bits wrong."

Nope. No way, no how. Sure, no country is perfect, but the issue has to do with the way the government treats the citizenry at large. On balance, the U.S. is among the leaders in the amount of individual freedom for advancement of whatever sort: Material, educational, self-determination for contentment for contentment's sake. We have less personal interference in our daily lives from government than any European country. We have far more opportunities for career/monetary advancement. And if you want to just kick back and be a bum, you can do that too.

And you don't go to jail for saying, "Screw Bush!" or "Screw Obama!" And our courts will do good for the little guy--as witness the Miranda decision, among many others.

Chavez? He conned his way into Bossdom of a country that was right at being self-sufficent. He ran off the indigenous money and competent people, and scared away the foreign investment. His sole source of federal income declined as a result, yet he dreamed up an outside enemy--the U.S.--to justify the purchase of outmoded weaponry for a nearly-non-existent military with no training. And as all that nonsense went on, the amount of food for his poplation declined and the cost of living rose dramatically.

And his gasoline is refined at Corpus Christi, Texas. How vulnerable do you think a country oughta be?

Aside from being a good con-artist of the ignorant, Chavez has all the intellectual competency of a mouse in heat.

14. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Something tells me that you've not been to Europe. Either that or you've had a very hard knock to the head.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

'Rat, you're really old enough to know better than to trot out this crap.

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well, the Reagan / Bush / Bush monetary /fiscal policies have wrecked the US economy, as expected and predicted; so it's probably a not a distinction worth making on that front.

Sure Chavez is a tin-pot rabble-rouser, but you don't encourage a guy like that. If he's that bad, the Venezualan people will take care of the problem. Treating him like he's the Big Threat he wants to be seen as only inflates his importance on the world stage and increases the problem he becomes to our interests.

17. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

from the BBC today;

BBC report

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I don't care who you are and what your approval ratings are but:

...is a bit cheeky. Perhaps the King of Spain had the right idea. :D

19. Queso macrumors G4

Dreaming up outside enemies to justify military spending, whilst the economy of his country goes into ruin? And all whilst the country is totally dependent on an outside power for an essential resource.

It doesn't take a Connecticut born Texan to realise you actually just went some way in proving my point.

20. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

The irony of that post is just overwhelming. Chavez will be overthrown sooner or later, I think it's better for a country to experience failure and overthrow their leaders rather then the US coming in and disposing of them and then trying to justify it as being in the best interests of the people.

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

We jail citizens indefinitely without charge, and torture others; just like a regular old thug dictator or king. You can point to all thousand points of light, but it doesn't erase the things we have in common with those you claim we're better than.

One could make nearly that same exact argument about George W. Bush, whom you have generally supported lo these past years.

Considering that we import most of our oil from countries who's people hate us, I wouldn't go bragging about how much less vulnerable a country "oughta be". So you tell me, exactly how vulnerable ought a country to be?

Now, now 'Rat... surely you aren't going to (yet again) contradict your stance that name-calling is simply a substitute for rational thought?

Ever thought of living up to the expectations you hold others too? :p

22. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I don't see Bush shutting down broadcasting stations that voice opposition to or criticism of him.
    Chavez has also, until somewhat recently, been very supportive of FARC, which, despite his claims, really is a terrorist organization.

Link? Gitmo isn't filled with US citizens, but (despite what the President likes to think) POWs.

23. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Are you mad? I have exactly zero government interference in my daily life.

It could be said you yanks have far more. Having to keep all your receipts for your yearly tax returns sounds like a complete bummer. Someone else does that for me so I don't have to think about it.

In that sense I have to do less to keep the government happy than you do. I'm sure there are many other areas where your so called "freedoms" mean you have to do far more work than I do for the same conclusion.

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I assumed everyone knew about that cases of Yasser Hamdi and Jose Padilla, and that this point was not in dispute.

It appears I was wrong.

25. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Well, lessee. A year in the Philippines, and fifteen months in South Korea with at least a little bit of time in Japan. Two years in Paris, with travel all over western Europe. A couple of fairly recent trips into Germany, with regular communication with my son and DIL who live there. Travel through Canada, and friends who live there. Same for Mexico. And a good bit of reading of English-translation articles from various news sources around the world.

Sorry, mac, but "Well, the Reagan / Bush / Bush monetary /fiscal policies have wrecked the US economy, as expected and predicted; so it's probably a not a distinction worth making on that front." just won't wash. You left out Keynes, Carter/Clinton/Barney Frank/ACORN and the Congress--not to mention consumeritis. Dubya ain't the brightest star in the heavens, but he is small beer compared to the decades of wrong decisions.

And, "We jail citizens indefinitely without charge, and torture others; just like a regular old thug dictator or king." is an extremely limited Bad Deal, and is nowhere near a common practice--and you darned wll know it.

Tell y'all what: Make a list of countries. Then go through and check off the ones where you can smartmouth a local cop and walk away. Or tell a cop he needs a warrant to search. Or tell the local equivalent of the DEA to stuff it; you're gonna publish "High Times" whether he likes it or not.

England? Hey, just ignore any privacy issues, there. Keep smiling, you're on-camera. And make sure you don't use the wrong-sized trash container. And, hey, y'all can't be trusted with guns, according to your rulers.

:D:D:D

'Rat