Cheap 24'' monitor for production student

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by redshft, Jun 23, 2009.

1. redshft macrumors member

I'm in the market for an external computer monitor to use with my MBP. I'm currently a student in media production and run FCP, Logic Pro, and AE at home....but only for learning/practicing for now. Eventually I will be producing as a profession, but right now I just want a monitor that will give me some room to work with and provide me with decent viewing angles and good resolution. I understand IPS panel monitors are ideal for color representation, but most of the stuff I am doing is for web so I don't know if it's a necessity right now. I'll also be viewing BD and PS3 games with it too.

I could get an HP LP2475W which I understand is a good monitor, but I'd rather start off with something cheaper, no more than $350ish and upgrade later. What should I be looking at? Is the Samsung T240HD a solid choice? Any "bang for the bucks" I should check out?

I've ran a search but can't quite find inquiries relevant to mine being amateur video production....mostly gaming and graphic design.

2. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

I would highly recommend refurbished dell monitors. you can get a 22"-26" monitor for under $500, even $300.
    Go check them out. They also come standard with a 2 year warranty.

3. redshft thread starter macrumors member

Nice, thanks! The Dell S2409W looks like it might be a winner.

4. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Edit:
    I'm sorry, I didn't entirely read that part about how you already knew about the LP2475w. I still think you should up your budget just a little bit. A display is a long term investment and will last you years. You'll save money in the long run by buying 'right' the first time.
    ---
    original post:
    HP LP2475w

Goes for $580 list, can get on Amazon for $550. I bought it on eBay for $468 after bing.com cashback.

It's one of the least expensive IPS panels you can get. Colors are beautiful, picture is pretty much unchanged even at extreme angles, resolution is full 1920x1200, has inputs for essentially every connector standard out there (2x DVI, HDMI, component, S-Video, etc etc), 6 USB ports, portrait view, adjustable stand..

Oh yeah, it's a great display :p Definitely worth the money.