cheap gas brings out the worst in people

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dukebound85, Oct 16, 2008.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

2. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

I suggest you avoid all mainstream news then if this disgusts you already.

3. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

wow greedy people
    thats not cool. i hate ppl like those but hey who can blame them, we are all crazy for gas but still ppl should know when to control themselves

4. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

90 minutes isn't too bad, there was a gas station that left the price all night

5. adk macrumors 68000

adk

How do we know they thought it was wrong? Are they wrong to assume that the gas station knowingly and willingly set that price?

Also, gas customers are ALWAYS extremely vocal about gas prices (whether high or low) so it would seem to me that the clerk was pretty thick headed to not realize what was going on.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It seems this same furor is lacking when there are threads here (on a fairly often basis) about mispriced items on consumer electronics websites. I even bought an iTunes KISS album set for $1.49 because the unusual price was posted about on MacRumors.

Is it just convenient to be outraged when someone else does something "wrong" because it allows us to avoid thinking about all the things we do that are less than... pro social?

7. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

I never look at the numbers on the pump nor really my ending total. I just throw my card in the pump fill all the way up and leave. It would have been a pleasant surprise when I check at my statement online but I wouldn't correct their mistake, nor would I try and take as much as I could.

8. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

you cant be serious. anyone that has half a mind knows that a price like that is a mistake....esp when the station across the street is stil 3.xx something

the fact is, people knowingly took advantage of a mistake because they could. nothing moral about it

i know i would have told the station about it. to those that question me on that, im a guy who once knowingly sped in my car then saw a cop car parked with a cop in it that honked at me. i then procedded to turn around and i went back to where the cop was parked and told him i was speeding. he didnt give me a ticket but appreciated my honesty

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, and many times they try to justify it by saying how evil corporations are.:rolleyes:

10. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I am serious. A gas station in town sold gas for $.80 per gallon this summer (as opposed to the usual $4 or more) for a few hours to promote their 80th anniversary.

Also, +1 for mkrishnan.

11. n00basaur macrumors regular

Not like these companies are any saints. Get real.

12. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

Gas stations themselves only make maybe 10 cents per gallon. Gasoline is a loss-leader for them. They hope to draw you in to buy beer, or soda, or snacks which is a huge profit for them. Driving off without paying for your gas costs about $3000. The station will need to sell an additional $3000 in gas just to make up what that person stole. Also most gas stations are independently owned and operated.
    This store not putting the correct price in their system is probably going to cost them lots of money. Also at some gas stations, only the manager can change the gas prices. Perhaps the manager set the price and then left for the day. There may not have been a way to change it. Also some systems make it so you can not change the gas price while people are pumping gas, so they have to stop people from pumping, which isn't good customer service.

13. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I don't see anything wrong with it. I wouldn't have filled cans of gas, but I definitely would have filled up my car. It's called opportunity! :)

14. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Can you explain that a bit better?

I steal $100 worth of gas...how am I stealing $3000 in profit?

15. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

I have to say, that the big oil companies are all ready raping us, (even though it's not the gas stations fault). One time, this happened at a gas station down the street from me. This was back when gas had just peaked at $3.00 per gallon. We took every vehicle/motorcycle/Quad we had and filled them all up:D
    *Cal me a bad person, I don't care.

16. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

Its not profit. It is how much they have to sell to make back what you drove off with. After that then they start making a little profit on the gas again.

17. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

But you just said gas is a loss leader for many stations. Using your analogy, stations would have to sell an infinite number of gallons to make up for the cost of the stolen gas.

Actually, the more gas they sell, the more they lose, so by stealing $100 of gas, you are helping them to make more profit by selling less gas at a loss :)

Or maybe what you meant was to make up that $100 of stolen gas, they need to sell $120 of on-tap fizzy drinks? (isn't the profit margin on sugar syrup, carbon dioxide and water around 90%?)

18. da2005pizimp macrumors 6502

that's just wrong, the lady drives a gas guzzler she doesn't deserve to fill up her tank for under 9 bucks. but whats really disgusting is that people were filling up gas tanks.

19. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

the companies? we are talking about a gas station that was operating at a MASSIVE LOSS for a good 90 min. how bout you get your facts straight

that gas company still bought that gas at market price...........

20. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

ok the store lost 100 dollars worth of gas

say that store only makes a 10 cent a gallon proffit when gas is 3 bucks

so to make up for that lost profit, the store will have to sell 3000 gallons to recoup that 100 dollar loss

understand?

21. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

stealing from the gas station does not hurt the "big companies" but rather the middle man. how can you even justify your actions?

22. nanofrog macrumors G4

Exactly. The owner of the station ate the loss, not the supplier.

Many people would like to "stick it" to the oil companies. Just do it the right way. Stop electing politicians the oil companies have already bought and paid for. :p

23. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Well, it wasn't really my actions, more of my dad's. When someone makes a mistake, that is how they learn from it. When you go to a store and you recieve more change than you should have gotten, going back to the store and giving the clerk/cashier the money is the right thing, but the the clerk/cashier will not learn from their mistakes. When they have to pay for the mistake they made, they will learn from it. Much like the gas station. Life is all about making mistakes and learning from them.:D

24. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

I would have filled my car right on up.

It's like when i was grocery shopping with my dad. We were buying meats, and i was just curious looking at the more expensive cuts. Some were like $60, $70. But as i was walking by i noticed one said $3.xx. I knew it couldn't be right because the other cuts of the same meat were $70. I showed my dad, and we took it to the register to see if we could purchase it at the price. The guy there just looked at us funny, and we got a $70 piece of meat for $3.

Opportunity

(Oh, and it tasted so good:p)

25. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Good for you, more power to you I say...:D