Cheap hopefully good 1GB Macbook RAM: ACP-EP Memory?

neptunet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
22
0
I just placed an order for two of these with this company in the Amazon Marketplace. They seemed to have the cheapest RAM around that sounded believeably good. I was wondering if anybody has any experience:

ACP-EP Memory

http://amazon.com/gp/product/B000E6KP96/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_cart_2/103-6604119-2668647?ie=UTF8

By the way it was only $83.25 for me for some reason. Amazon dynamic pricing again? :)

EDIT: Oh you have to actually click "used & new from..." to get that price
 

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
1,248
11
hopefully, you guys already know there are sites like slickdeals.net

all the FABULOUS deals, you will find here.

A deal was posted 2-3 weeks ago for 2GB so-dimm PC2-5300 for only $120.
Of course, I jumped on the deal as quickly as possible. These deals often come up every 1-2 weeks so keep an eye on them at slickdeals.net

neptunet, never heard of that brand before, so I can't comment. you're better off with a known and reputable brand. and the price is average.
 

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
18,377
43
1123.6536.5321
As with most things in life, you get what you pay for. I only buy RAM from reputable places which guarantee Mac-compatibility and have a lifetime guarantee. Lots of cheap and generic RAM will not work well, if at all, in Macs.

So, this RAM might work okay for you, but it could just as easily not. For a few extra $$$s I would go with higher quality RAM, but that's just me. The way I look at it, you've spent good money on your Mac, most likely well over a thousand dollars, so why cheap out on something as crucial to your system as RAM? Doesn't make sense to me. If you want to roll the dice though, I wish you good luck. :cool:
 

Jdm_rsx

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
363
0
Honolulu, Hawaii
~Shard~ said:
As with most things in life, you get what you pay for. I only buy RAM from reputable places which guarantee Mac-compatibility and have a lifetime guarantee. Lots of cheap and generic RAM will not work well, if at all, in Macs.

So, this RAM might work okay for you, but it could just as easily not. For a few extra $$$s I would go with higher quality RAM, but that's just me. The way I look at it, you've spent good money on your Mac, most likely well over a thousand dollars, so why cheap out on something as crucial to your system as RAM? Doesn't make sense to me. If you want to roll the dice though, I wish you good luck. :cool:

well said, so which brand are you using?
 

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
2,573
0
Clemson, SC
I went with G.Skill to up my MB to 2gb. Lots of people had used it on these forums, so I knew I was safe. It works great and has a lifetime warranty, which is key. It used to be cheaper, but it's still only $85 per 1gb dimm.

I don't necessarily think it's worth paying for brand-name RAM, though the peace of mind is very important to some. G.Skill was great for me, though, because plenty of mac users had tried it and loved it, it was cheap, and comes with that nice warranty.

I do agree, though, that it's not too smart to go with a brand no one's heard of or used before.. bad RAM can cause loads of problems with your computer.
 

mac000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2005
679
0
i just bought a 1GB stick from Kingston, for 89.99, ( 99.99 - 10$ mail in )

not bad, eh?

oh right almost forgot, for my macbook.
 

mac000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2005
679
0
i dont see how people can get their OWC or gskill whatever RAM. seems like a risk to me, you buy a very nice piece of computer hardware and throw in some off brand cheap ram?

maybe i'm just being biased
 

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
2,573
0
Clemson, SC
mac000 said:
i dont see how people can get their OWC or gskill whatever RAM. seems like a risk to me, you buy a very nice piece of computer hardware and throw in some off brand cheap ram?

maybe i'm just being biased
OWC is not "off brand cheap ram" - it's very reputable, and ought to be for $115 per 1gb dimm.

G.Skill is off brand, but has been tried and tested and works great. + a lifetime warranty.. what more could you want?
 

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
4,116
1
Minitrue
mac000 said:
i just bought a 1GB stick from Kingston, for 89.99, ( 99.99 - 10$ mail in )

not bad, eh?

oh right almost forgot, for my macbook.
Kingston is very lousy in my opinion. I rather try my luck with G-Skill.