Cheap iPhone charger question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iRyann, Jul 26, 2013.

1. iRyann macrumors regular

iRyann

I recently bought this charger as I need a longer lead for when I'm at work. It is incredibly slow in charging the phone (although I did start charging it at 2%).

Do cheaper iPhone chargers take longer to charge the iPhone?

Thanks.

2. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Cheap chargers lead to maiming and almost certain death. Apparently.

3. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

It is not so much on how much you paid for the charger, it is more about the output capacity.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You can't equate cheap to slow charging. But like Lucille Carter says, it isn't the cost per se, it's the output. If it has a low output then it will charge slower.

5. cynics macrumors G3

I don't think anyone clicked your link.

If in good condition that cable should charge as well as the original. However a loose connection can cause charging problems.

I've found aftermarket cables charge a bit slower compared to OEM. But not enough to by OEM, at least for the 30 pin connector.

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Never understood this, you're paying $300 for a phone, $100 for a monthly bill yet cheap out when it comes to charging your phone? I wouldn't use one personally, but enjoy until it breaks and/or fries your phone.

7. cynics macrumors G3

Lol...

You know Apple OEM chargers are technically not that good when it comes to converters. Just a china part. Its like saying "Use Apple earbuds because they are the best!" Lol!

Besides we are talking about a wire here. Not a charger.

8. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Yes they can. They can also lead to damage to the phone or the user if you aren't careful.

9. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I'd be less concerned about how slow it is charging, than what it is doing to my phone. $30 for OEM is a lot cheaper than a new phone. I would also be concerned about what it could possibly do to me if I am handling the phone and it is plugged in. With all the aftermarket cables now for sale, I am sure we are going to hear of more horror stories.

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

He clearly stated he bought it because he needs a longer cable. AFAIK, APple doesn't offer such a thing.

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Sorry, reading comprehension fail on my part for the cable, I do however maintain that I would not buy third party chargers.

12. iNiko macrumors newbie

Well, I would prefer original as it is more faster at charging I think.

13. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

My thoughts as well..

14. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

A friend of mine ordered cheap Iphone charging cable and after using it two times he threw it in the trash and bought apple one :D

15. iRyann thread starter macrumors regular

iRyann

If you're paying $100 a month for the bill on your iPhone then you are the biggest fool in the world. £14.90 a month my friend. Unlimited texts, calls and internet.

----------

It's the first time I've bought something 'un' Apple to use with my iPhone, but Apple don't do longer chargers so what am I to do?

16. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

Look for the Griffin Lightning ... It is 3 metres long :)

17. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Move to a country where that is the norm if you want good service and then we will talk. Europe has wonderful prices on mobile phone service. But, from what I hear, your VAT on just about everything else is pretty high. Should I be calling you a fool here? No, because that would be ignorant.

18. DGPMaluco macrumors regular

Are you charging it from the wall or the pc?

If you are charging it from a PC you can install Asus AI Charger, it gives your USB ports a boost and you can even charge an iPad from the pc

19. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Cheap iPhone charger question

I recommend this combo:
    Anker® 18W / 3.6A Wall Charger - The First and Only Adapter Capable of Delivering Simultaneous, Full-Speed Charges to iPads and Smartphones
    http://amzn.com/B00B8L36A6
    Or
    New Trent, 10W 5V/2A Dual Port high-speed USB AC wall charger (NT90C/IMP90C)
    http://amzn.com/B009RXU59C
    With
    iXCC 2 pcs White EXTRA LONG USB SYNCCable Cord Charger For Apple iPod, iPhone, iPad, iPad 2 and the New iPad 3 (10 feet)
    http://amzn.com/B008GVM9K4

I have the lightning version of the cable above by the same company. It works great. Just as good as apples IMO. I just hope the lightning ones work with iOS 7.

20. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

if you're gonna get a cheap charger, may as well get this one...

[​IMG]

21. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I get it...

22. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

What's your source that Apple OEM charges are "Technically not that good when it comes to converters"? I find the opposite to be true.

http://www.righto.com/2012/05/apple-iphone-charger-teardown-quality.html

When you've read that, scroll down to the "Conclusions" part and read http://www.righto.com/2012/03/inside-cheap-phone-charger-and-why-you.html

23. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

With all the above answers in this thread, it is no wonder people do not know what to do!:p

24. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx