Cheap iPhone Rumor

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MikeAndersonWA, Mar 2, 2013.

1. MikeAndersonWA macrumors newbie

This is a rumor that has always baffled me, and maybe somebody can help me understand this.

The reason i don't get it, is because every year, there is ALREADY a cheap (free) iPhone option with lesser guts than the current model. Why would they release a separate cheap iPhone when they already offer 2 different cheap iPhones each year? Currently you can get the iPhone 5 for $199, the 4S for $99, and the 4 for free. What's the need for another cheap iPhone? Just seems like it'd be a total waste of time/money for Apple to put in the research and development of an additional iPhone that has absolutely no need of existing. So yes, they ARE working on a cheap iPhone for the next launch, it's called the 4S, but it'll have 8GB of storage.

2. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

3. Defender2010, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013

Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

It's not free. Perhaps no up front fee, but u need to pay through the teeth for 2 years. This cheaper phone will be aimed at consumers who don't want a contract. I don't imagine it takes much R&D to make a cheaper device at all. At the end of the day- more buyers because if the cheaper price means greater market share. Think China and India for consumers who want a cheaper device. These countries don't like phone contracts like USA/EUROPE do. Think a little more about it......perhaps there are millions of non Apple users who want a cheaper device who can't afford either full price iPhones or a contract....this new device will be aimed at them (or anyone in fact)

4. GimbalRates macrumors newbie

Well here is the thing, those phones are the prices on contract with there respective carries. I can NOT go out and purchase an Iphone, contract free and unlocked at 199$, or $99.

If I were to buy an Iphone 4 unlocked from the Apple website, I'm looking at around $450.00 USD. That's not cheap, which is what Apple is trying to fix.

5. AnorexicPig macrumors 6502

AnorexicPig

I still feel lowering the price point on existing 4 and 4S is better (unlocked ones) than developing a new phone,when iPhone 5 costs 207$ to manufacture,surely 4 would be around 150$ max after these many years.

They can very well sell it at 350$ unlocked.If they offer a cheaper iPhone,they should not call it iPhone,like Samsung doesn't call the cheaper models 'S',else it will cheapen the iPhone brand a little.

6. maxosx macrumors 68020

7. 617aircav Suspended

If you think there is going to be a sub $300 iPhone off contract you are in fantasy land.

8. Mrbobb macrumors 601

There is a new post everyday like yours despite Tim Cook denial but OK.

Ur thinking like a Gringo. One rumour says this cheaper phone is for developing countries, where they have no developed credit system like we do and therefore must purchase their phones full-priced.

9. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

The "cheap" Iphone is primarily for emerging markets. Some of those places do not have subsidized pricing but even the iPhone 4 is still $450 full price. If the recent rumor is to be believed, it'll be available here in the US, too. I'm assuming that will pertain to pre-paid carriers like cricket, Virgin mobile and Straight Talk. It will allow them to offer the iPhone with a cheaper price point.

10. MikeAndersonWA thread starter macrumors newbie

This is all well and good, but I know one of the big selling points of the iPhone is that there aren't a bunch of different options, it's just the iPhone, and that's what attracts users, if you have an iPhone you know what you get.

While it might be tempted to make a cheaper entry level iPhone, I doubt they would want to complicate things by adding in a bunch of different "new" iPhones.

11. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

I agree. Honestly, we may not even see the "cheap" iphone come to the US market. It may just be for emerging markets alone.

12. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

first of all, it's called subsidy. secondly, the cheap iphone concept was supposedly for emerging markets like india and china. both of whom cannot afford the full price iphones. we only get the phone at so much cheaper price because we sign up with the providers and then they get their money back from signing up for 2 years. why do you think they charge you termination fee? Nothing in this world is free, you have to pay to play.

13. Defender2010, Mar 3, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2013

Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

$300 - $350 is more accurate
    Just for the record, nowhere in my post did I state "sub $300". I don't know where you pulled that figure out of!!! Think iPod Touch with phone features and a polycarbonate back....that is possible!

14. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Because using the previous iPhone as the only cheaper option is only offering people last generation specs, especially when it's a redesign cycle.

Currently, if people wanted a cheaper iPhone, they'd have to get the 3.5" iPhone 4 or 4S. People lose out on the new 4" screen.

If there's a more current-gen cheaper model, however, they could still enjoy some or most of the benefits of the current generation specs, design cues, etc.

It's not rocket science. It's simply offering customers options. And when it comes to the iPhone, Apple should. After all, they do it with literally every other lineup they have.

15. 617aircav Suspended

So the cheaper iPhone will have the same specs as the current iPhone? That's not really a good business decision. What's next a cheaper MacBook pro?

16. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Current gen doesn't always equate to same specs.

17. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

I think the iPad Mini is a good example of how Apple can make a less expensive model of the iPhone. The iPad Mini is an iPad 2 in a smaller package. They could use the internals from a previous generation phone (4 or 4S) but put it in a new case. Think of the price point and specs of the Nexus 4 as a target.

18. 617aircav Suspended

That's why they sell the older iPhones.

19. dextr3k macrumors 6502

Or it could be the same as what chipset and graphic card companies do, and offer a new line of products, typically cheap/medium/extreme choices, and but the key would be that, even tho the cheap is not any more powerful than even last generation's medium variety, it would support the latest features of this generation, for example NFC/fingerprint sensor/job(god)'s voice

20. Mellisaray macrumors regular

well, i think so.

21. 617aircav Suspended

Let me get this straight, apple will make a phone in 2013 that is inferior to the iPhone from 2010. So people will buy an iPhone without retina display, only 8 gigs, no siri, juts because it's new? Apple will never make such a crappy phone. I have been to third world countries, and the less fortunate majority over there don't really want to pay for data.

22. AblySoft macrumors newbie

23. Ste Nova macrumors 6502

there is demand for cheap 2010 spec phone for a cheap price, just look at the 2nd hand market

24. metrion macrumors newbie

But I wanted a slippery plastic iPhone with a resistive touchscreen instead of capacitative one so I really have to peck down hard for it to recognize my touches!

And non retina was so much better, I want my cheap iPhone!

I wonder if it will run iOS6, I hope it doesn't.

25. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

Don't worry. It'll run Gingerbread.