cheap lcd tv—westinghouse, vizio, olevia

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by lord patton, Jul 26, 2007.

1. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

Can anyone recommend a cheap-ish brand for a LCD TV? I'm looking for a 37" lcd, and some of the cheaper brands are Westinghouse, Olevia, and Vizio.

I'm looking for cheap, but not garbage (that is, I'm not going to get the cheapest thing I can find at NewEgg).

Any personal knowledge, warnings, or things to look for would be appreciated.

2. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Of all those, Vizio gets the nod. I hate to say it, but they are up and coming. I'm pretty sure you can get their 37" LCD for about $750 or so. I sell them at Circuit City, and they seem to be pretty popular for the price.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

My brother has a Vizio (I think 32", not sure) and it looks awesome. I'd never guess that it's a budget HDTV.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I did a search for this article I read about LCD TVs that got the nod from gamers but I couldn't find it. I recall it said Vizio actually got the nod over some HP one that was tested. I would go Vizio, Westinghouse and wouldn't even tough the other.

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Personally I think the Olevia's look terrible even though they are cheap. I mean, compare one to a Sony Bravia LCD and you won't touch one with a ten foot pole. Westinghouse pretty much dissapoints as well. I haven't heard of Vizio. In my opinion you're going to lose when buying a cheap HDTV. I have yet to see one that looked decent. They all pretty much look like crap. If I were you I'd just save up for a much better model. But hey, that's me.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Go to a Cosco type store, you can get good TV's for good prices.

8. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I just bought a Sharp HDTV (not a cheap one, the 42" 1080p version), that was a pretty good discount on Amazon. Depending on your budget you might be able to get a better TV than you think.

9. lord patton thread starter macrumors 65816

lord patton

thanks, all. 'preciate it.

QuarterSwede: what about them looks terrible? The wife and I aren't videophiles, but we don't want to live with disappointment throughout the life of the tv.

Should I go for a smaller screen, but better set? I was thinking of a 37" because that was the biggest we can fit in the entertainment center, but, come to think of it, we're watching from a pretty close distance. 12 feet to our eyes on the couch, much closer if I'm lying on the floor between the couch and set.

The rents got a 32" Sharp Aquos from Costco recently for $650 after coupon. Maybe that's the way to go?

10. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

You may not believe you are videophiles, but you will see the difference.

The most irritating thing you'll find with a cheap set is motion artefacts. When the camera pans across (horse racing is an example), then you'll see everything seems to 'judder' or blur. It's VERY irritating believe me, and you'll also find the black level (how dark things can look) and uneven backlight very very irritating.