Cheap Lightning cables?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saleemyas3, Sep 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saleemyas3 macrumors regular

i heard that apple made it so that they can be the only ones that make lightning cables. They have some sort of authentication chip in them. Is it true? Will i have to seriously hand over $20 per extra cable?

2. saleemyas3 thread starter macrumors regular

3. jokerz126 macrumors regular

as much as i love apple and their products...how is it that people give them a pass for being monopolistic and becoming the new "Monster Cables" to sell overpriced cables?...it seems anti-competitive to me to do this with cables..

4. dgstan macrumors 6502a

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not.
    There's already plenty of aftermarket lightning cables and 30 pin to lightning adapters for sale online.
    Give it a month of so and there will be tons of them available and prices will drop down to $1-2.

6. chris98vf macrumors regular

chris98vf

I've seen some counterfeit Chinese apple knockoffs in the past, some look like they were made at the factory and smuggled out, others look like possible quality control failures that were never destroyed but are only minor defects such as scuffs or in the case of cables a cm or two short or longer than spec. As long as I can get the cable to charge I might go for that just for work since I'm not syncing there.

7. armyxrays macrumors member

Exactly what I want. A cable for work (and the car). Tempted to try these knock offs. Any risk involved?

8. chris98vf macrumors regular

chris98vf

About $10

----------

I'm noticing that most of them won't ship until mid to late Oct. Just might pick one up at Apple if I need to wait that long...

9. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I've always been advised to stay away from cheap knockoffs because they can have adverse effects on the device (especially the battery). I'd gladly buy a cheap one to keep in my car, for charging and iPod functionality over USB, but don't want to do it at the expense of my device or its battery.

Is there any truth to this, or is it just a case of paranoia?

10. MacChinoNyc macrumors 6502

But the question is, do they work?

I read somewhere that knockoffs might not work.

Does the apple store have them in stock if you were to go to one now.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Im sure they work or everyone will have paypal and ebay refund their money.
    Like other apple USB cables work and have worked for years now.
    I think most Apple store should have them in stock or waiting to arrive.
    I'd call before going in cause around this time it will be a mad house there.

That's what Apple wants you to think.
    Their cable will kill your device and battery. Our "official" $30 wire will keep it in top performance and maintain a healthy and prosperous battery life:D
    Really? Its just a wire, its not brain surgery. Paranoid much?:D

12. saleemyas3 thread starter macrumors regular

One of the ebay listings said that the cables havent been tested and he doesnt know if it will work or not, so i'd stay away from that. There are others that ship out early october and don't have any mention of it not working, so if it doesnt work you get your money back.

13. bobo31790 macrumors newbie

right now apple has not given any manufacturer the "OK" to make their cables. So anything you see right now is based purely off of stolen prototypes etc. They have only confirmed who can make their new pin, but nobody is licensed to sell the charging cables.
    Source: My mom works for an apple accessories company.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Im not surprised.
    But as we know the chinese dont need any confirmation or licensing rights to start copying them:)

15. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Yes, I bought one in my local store Friday evening.

16. maclook macrumors 65816

It's sketchy how they're all using Apple's stock photos... I'd be more willing to give them a shot if they had photos of what they were selling.

$10 is the perfect price for me though. I never had to buy 30-pin cables after years of owning iPods so it's strange to have to buy lightning cables all of the sudden.

17. jordanogrady macrumors 6502

I've ordered 2 from amazon. 1 lightening to USB, and 1 lightening to 32 pin socket.
    I'll report back when they arrive.

18. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

DON'T BUY 3rd PARTY LIGHTING CABLE YET on ebay or amazon. It's not a simple cable Chinese knockoff makers can make. It won't work. AppleInsider reports the cable contain what looks like authentication chips inside the housing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. ek9max macrumors regular

I ordered some cheap ones off eBay.

They were cheap so we will see if they work ok when I get them.

20. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

I'm waiting for monoprice cables. They always have excellent prices and in my experience are very well made products. I realize "lightning" cables might be a little more complicated than hdmi cables, but I have never had a product from them that didn't function perfectly.

21. jordanogrady macrumors 6502

We'll soon find out if they work!

Could be apple scaring people so they pay the higher prices!

22. MacChinoNyc macrumors 6502

I'm waiting to see if the cheaper cables you guys ordered work or not before I bite :D

But seriously, I went into 2 at&t stores and 1 best buy yesterday and apple hasnt given them any to sell.

23. jordanogrady macrumors 6502

Go to apple then lol

I've got a spare from apple. Then awaiting cheapo ones :)

24. R3DH3R0 macrumors regular

There are also Lightning to 30 pin adapters from china on ebay for $4.00 and free shipping. I'll risk $4.00, haha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.