Cheap UK old style minis - ex demos with warranties

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by archipellago, Aug 8, 2010.

1. archipellago macrumors 65816

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

40£ cheaper than refurb Mini so not that amazing deal, seeing that it only comes with few months of warranty while refurb comes with 1 year. Comes with Magic Mouse and wireless KB though so those add its value as they are already 100£.

Thanks for the heads up, would buy one if I was in market for one as I could get two of those for the price of new one (no refurbs in Finland store :mad:)

3. archipellago thread starter macrumors 65816

personally, I wouldn't touch one at any price, but I posted it to try and help those less informed than me...

4. voyager03 macrumors member

[​IMG] Ideal for someone looking for an entry level Mac for undemanding email/internet/homework duties.

I can imagine there are a lot of people who might benefit from upgrading from some tired old PC to something like that.

5. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Thanks for posting this!

I hope they still have some in stock on Friday. Waiting on a cheque to clear and then I can finally upgrade from my 8 year old G4.

Found loads of them recently for about £400-£450, then stocks started drying up everywhere when I'm days away from being able to buy one!

The prices people have the cheek to sell them for on eBay is a joke when the 2.53Ghz version was £550 as a refurb from the Apple store last week. Benchmarks show about a 6% increase over the 2.26Ghz model so I can spend roughly the price difference on an SSD at a later date.

6. archipellago thread starter macrumors 65816

Ring them and ask you to keep one for you!

They are a good bunch at KRCS.

7. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Aghhhhhh!

Called them when they were in stock. They refused to reserve one, even though I offered to pay a deposit up front over the phone. Now I finally have the money together, it's back to the eBay rip off merchants and their inflated prices :-(

I've seen the 2.26Ghz model go for nearly £500 on eBay since last Friday and Apple are selling refurb 2.53Ghz models for £549!

8. voyager03 macrumors member

But the price is not 'inflated' - people will pay what they are 'worth' to them and, just like you, they see the value in the older shape 2.53.

But Apple UK has a new style 2.4 on the referb store today at £549. You could get that and buy 4Gb of memory for @£75 and have near as good as the 2.53....

9. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

It's cost as much as anything. £450 in 1 go or I'll have to save for another month.

The new models are a step backwards from a cost / CPU performance perspective and people are selling year old systems for more than Apple were selling them for as refurbs (don't forget, an Apple refurb has a 12 month warranty too).

There's refurb 2.53 systems with 4Gb on the Apple Store, if I had the cash I would have ordered one. This time next month I'll have more to spend on it but the Mac Mini IS overpriced.

The 2010 model should be £499 with 4Gb and a 7200rpm system drive As Standard. Not what it is, overpriced, difficult to upgrade compared with the older design (apart from the RAM obviously) and a half baked product. £649 should be core i3 at least these days!

What bugs me even more is people putting the really old Intel Mac Mini with a 1.83Ghz CPU up for over £450 just because they've had £90 or so of 3rd party RAM and Hard drive added.

I got my G4 as a single CPU system with 1Gb for £400 on eBay almost 2 years after it was discontinued and then added about another £200 of extra RAM, Hard Drives and dual CPUs.

I know at the time that it was a steal for that price and not something to expect these days but I also see having to buy a Mac Mini as a compromise because no all-in-one or screenless, keyboardless laptop for your desk can replace the entry level desktop Mac that Apple see no need to provide anyone with any more.

10. mankymanning macrumors regular

I got one of the KRCS refurbs about 6 months ago, a mid 2009 2.0GHz mini for £299. It was still in warranty so I bought Applecare for it for about £35 from the US ebay...fantastic bargain. It replaced the noisy PC under the stairs, sits under the telly running Plex and sometime this week will get a nice 8GB RAM upgrade to run a VM for me too.

I was wondering about perhaps selling it on to get one of the new ones with HDMI but I am not sure it is worth it just to save on a cable and gain only 0.4GHz speed....