Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PrinceAlexander

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2008
I want to buy a new computer for my grandparents. They had an old PC box that died on them, and they haven't replaced it. I live half a world away (they're in the USA) and can't be there for any sort of hands-on support.

1. It needs to be cheap. Exchange rates being what they are, I need to keep it under $500 US. The lower, the better. They don't need a lot of computer, anyway.
  2. They're not computer savy. It needs to be relatively trouble free, and easy to use. I'd prefer an iMac to a Mini, for example.
  3. They'll use it for email, BASIC internet browsing, Skype & iChat, and possibly iPhoto.
  4. By far the most important consideration is video chat over Skype and iChat. To that end, I'd prefer something with a built-in iSight. Unfortunately, most seem out of my budget. I can't remember the last time I set up an external webcam, either, so talking them through it isn't going to be easy.
  5. It also needs to be able to handle screen sharing over iChat. Granted, the internet speed is the main issue here. I do, however, need to be able to run Leopard so that I can fix any issues they have.

What should I look at? Will a G4 or G5 be enough? What about the iSight issue?

In the event I can, and do, go non-intel, is there any point in waiting until the release of Snow Leopard? I'm willing to bet PPC hardware will drop in price at that point, though how much is anyone's guess.

I switched a year and a half ago, and am completely inexperienced with older Macs, so any and all help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance, everyone! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.