Cheap way to upgrade from OS 10.4.11 to 10.5

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marymaryquite, May 23, 2010.

1. marymaryquite macrumors newbie

I bought my Mac book Pro 5 years ago and it's running OS 10.4.11. I'm needing to upgrade the Operating System to handle some new programs that I just got for it that require a minimum of 10.5.2 Operating System.

Spending $150-$200 for the brand new Snow Leopard is completely out of my budget right now.

Any brilliant ideas?

2. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

3. AndrewCjDuong macrumors member

LOL fail... probably thought it was windows. But a mac from 5 years ago. I don't even thing thats upgradable.

4. marymaryquite thread starter macrumors newbie

indeed snow leopard is $30...but you have to have leopard already running on your system to upgrade it.

The $150 is for the full brand spanking new operating system that apple is selling right now that includes Everything!

I'm looking for a quick way to go from TIger to Leopard. From OS 10.4.11 to Os 10.5....

that's it.

And yes my lug of a laptop is getting a little long in the tooth. poor thing.

5. tigress666 macrumors 68040

No need to be insulting here.

But yeah, a Mac from five years ago I am not sure can be upgradeable. I'm pretty sure it can't be to Snow Leopard as I am pretty sure you need an intel chip to do that and they were pretty new (the core duo's I think were even only a year old when I bought my Intel core 2 duo macbook) when I bought my 3 year old macbook. I could be wrong but I am betting the 5 year old mac is running a g4 chip or gsomething chip anyways.

I'm not sure if you can run leopard or not on the G4/G5 chips though (part of me says I think it is snow leopard that is the cutoff but I could be wrong).

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

1. Yes, it is upgradeable.:D

2. No, its not $30. Its $30 if you ALREADY have Leopard and your upgrading to Snow Leopard. But to go from Tiger or before DIRECTLY to Leopard or Snow Leopard its $150-$200. Quite expensive:rolleyes:

7. chris8535 macrumors member

A) you can upgrade from Tiger to Leopard, you just have to back everything up as it erases your harddrive

B) Snow Leopard only works on Intel Macs

C) I'd explore 'other options' since Leopard is a defunct operating system.

8. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

5 years ago Intel MacBook Pros did exist. My Dad has one.

9. tigress666 macrumors 68040

If your computer is 5 years old you should check what processor it has. I'm not sure your computer will be able to run snow leopard (which is 10.6 btw, not 10.5. 10.5 is just leopard and not sure you can buy it at the apple store anymore as I don't think they sell old versions of OS's anymore).

Anyways, even if your computer is not an intel processor, I think you should be able to run 10.5 (but not snow leopard). You just gotta find it ;). I'd check ebay if I were you. Also, I think on another mac forum, creatively named mac forums ;), there is a stickied thread somewhere of people offering and asking for old system discs (the type apple doesn't sell such as, well 10.5). You may find some one who can give theirs away.

10. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

All these application that require Leopard or higher don't actually require SNOW LEOPARD, only normal Leopard. And you can pick Leopard up on eBay for a much lower price than a brand new version of Snow Leopard from the Apple store. Have a snoop around and see if ya can find one for only $100:D

11. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

Just to clarify, MacBook Pros first came into existence in January 2006. So while this is its 5th year of existence, technically, five years ago is May 24th 2005 and MacBook Pros did not exist then.

12. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Lol, well almost 5 yrs ago:rolleyes:

13. johnalan macrumors 6502

the 30$ snow leopard upgrade disc does allow you to do a full install WITHOUT leopard on the machine.

the upgrade disc is infact a FULL RETAIL Edition.

I know becuase I bought the $30 upgrade disc and ONLY had windows on my mac at the time of installing it.