Cheaper alternatives for Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by violetgoose, Jun 9, 2013.

1. violetgoose, Jun 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2013

violetgoose macrumors member

violetgoose

I have a Verizon iPhone 4s and I read on the T-Mobile website that only the Verizon iPhone 5 can be used on the TMobile network, though NOT the 4s, which is what I have. I will be moving out-of-state for school this summer and cannot afford Verizon monthly plans anymore, especially since I will be a full-time student and won't be able to work and go to school at the same time. :( I did some research and found a prepaid plan that works on Verizon's cell towers called Page Plus Cellular. Has anyone had any experience with them? I am seriously contemplating switching over later this summer before I move but I don't know much about them and don't know anyone using it. I really WOULD prefer to just cancel Verizon altogether but I would have to pay a buttload of $$ for termination and cancellation fees (unless it is absolutely worth it?) Because I am going to be in school for the next year or so I definitely can't keep on spending the money to Verizon; I have a decent job now but will have to quit soon and will have to budget like crazy when I move so I figured I can either KEEP my 4s and find a cheap prepaid plan that works with Verizon (in this case Page Plus), cancel Verizon altogether and start anew and maybe just go to TMobile or something, or just stick to a basic phone (it's already unlocked so I could care less what service provider it will be on) for a year or so until I can afford a smartphone again. Of course I am going to miss my iPhone but a girl's gotta make sacrifices... lol :eek:

Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks!

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

youre gonna have to cancel verizon if you want to use a prepaid plan or tmobile. have you called them to find out what the termination fees will be? depending on that, it may be cheaper to cancel now vs paying for it for however many months until the plan is over.

and yes, the iphone 4S cant be used on tmobile, or any other US based GSM company. Page Plus allows Verizon branded phones on their network so you will be able to use your existing 4S.

3. hockeyman94 macrumors regular

To Unlock an iPhone 4s for Verizon is difficult but if you meet the criteria below you could possibly be able to use it for t-mobile.

* Must be a Verizon Wireless customer.
    * The iPhone 4S being unlocked must be active on a Verizon Wireless line of service.
    * The line of service must be active at least 60 days.
    * The line of service must be in good standing for the past 60 days.
    * Only one SIM Unlock per line every 10 months.

1. Call 1-800-711-8300 (Verizon Global Support) and ask the representative for a SIM unlock. Occassionally a representative may not know exactly what you are referring to; make sure you are not transferred to a different department. You are in the right place. Explain that they should have a walkthrough on how to do this, and that it allows for the use of local, non-Verizon SIM cards while traveling abroad.

2. Get confirmation from the rep that the unlock has been applied to your account, then check your phone to make sure it recognizes your SIM and can connect (if successful it will roam on AT&T, assuming you are calling from the USA.) You will NOT see an unlock confirmation in iTunes as that is for a factory-applied unlock only.

3. Insert a foreign SIM into the SIM card slot on the side of your phone (only required to confirm that the unlock is successful.)

4. Enjoy your new unlocked iPhone 4S!

This unlock is permeant from what I hear may be wrong though

4. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

useful post in general, but absolutely useless for the original poster. the verizon iphone 4s does NOT need to be unlocked for use with a verizon or other CDMA MVNO carrier, as they dont use the SIM card tray. the ONLY reason someone would need the 4S tray unlocked is for internation travel for use on foreign carriers. all the OP needs to do once she decides what to do, is give her phones MEID to Page Plus so they can activate it on their system. she will not be able to use it on t-mobile or any other US GSM carrier and will need to get a new phone for that.

5. rabbitjetta macrumors member

An option would be to sell the iPhone and get a GSM 4S to use on t-mobile. post a trade ad on CL.

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Find out what your ETF is so you can compare the cost of remaining with Verizon versus switching.

Compare to the plans you're considering. Make sure you factor in equipment costs.

Make sure you check on coverage where you're going to school when selecting a carrier.

7. violetgoose thread starter macrumors member

violetgoose

Yes this was what I am afraid of :( verizon charges $350 to cancel minus $10 per month that I have been on their network, if that makes any sense.

I did call tmobile yesterday to check how their plans work and it does seem way cheaper than verizon, even with the monthly payment for the iPhone. If I decide to ditch verizon altogether and go back to tmobile, they did tell me that the coverage for talking, texting and data is strong where I'll be for school but since I took a look at another thread about lte coverage across the nation, San Luis Obispo isn't on there. I'm sure it'll still be fine though but I really don't want to pay money for basically bad or slow coverage. Still tmobiles offers right now seem to be pretty attractive!