Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Cheaper iPods at MWSF?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
51,001
12,540
AppleTurns posted an interesting tidbit today...

The traditionally satirical site reports that they have a "strong feeling that a modestly-featured and modestly-priced new entry-level iPod is indeed in the offing", and seem to think that MacWorld Expo may be the launching point for the new iPod.

Steve Jobs has previously stated that they are constantly trying to lower the cost of iPod and one unconfirmed rumor pointed to a cheaper 5GB iPod to be released in November... but never came to be.


While AppleTurns denies being a rumor site, they do make the occasional foray into the rumor sandbox, and has been known to be correct on occasion.
 

Tuttle

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2003
37
0
Everyone I know/meet wants an iPod.

Everyone I know/meet knows what an iPod is.

People are always stopping me to take a look at my iPod.

I think my dual G5 is getting jealous.

I have a new 10 gig iPod and I have never filled the thing up. I could easily get by with only 5 gig since setting up playlists in iTunes so easy and downloading is so fast with the Firewire connection.

I think the tremendous brand awareness Apple has with the iPod can overcome the race for bigger internal drives that the other players use for differentiation.
 
Comment

freddiecable

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2003
646
165
Sweden
5 GB iPod for 199 or even 149 USD :)

but i don't think the difference between 10 GB and 5 GB would justify a 150 USD price difference. But, 199 would be realistic...
 
Comment

hokka

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2003
143
0
Sydney
Then I could get a few for family and friends (and bribes)

AppleTurns is right about this:

"Let's face it, most of the people willing to shell out at least $299 for a portable music player probably already have one..."

yep! I already have a 40GB iPod, but for me to fork out more for presents would kill me ;) If this is true - pretty much inevitable when the "elite" market's been satuated - they will need to move down and try to fight the Flash-based players out there - I could see companies such as Creative going out of business when this happens...
 
Comment

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
356
0
Originally posted by Tuttle
Everyone I know/meet wants an iPod.

Everyone I know/meet knows what an iPod is.

People are always stopping me to take a look at my iPod.

I think my dual G5 is getting jealous.

I have a new 10 gig iPod and I have never filled the thing up. I could easily get by with only 5 gig since setting up playlists in iTunes so easy and downloading is so fast with the Firewire connection.
Sorry for my question, but what the heck has the ease of use of itunes and the fast FW connection to do with the size of the ipod?
you mean because its fast yo umean yo uneed less space???????? uh
My 30 gig is almost full...... Not that Im getting a bigger 1 but....
 
Comment

Toby O Notoby

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2003
16
0
Singapore
Exec #1: Hey, let's build a cheaper version of the iPod, we could probably sell millions of them as Christmas presents!

Exec #2: Brilliant! When should we release them?

Exec #3: I was thinking sometime in January.
 
Comment

Tuttle

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2003
37
0
Originally posted by iwantanewmac
Sorry for my question, but what the heck has the ease of use of itunes and the fast FW connection to do with the size of the ipod?
you mean because its fast yo umean yo uneed less space???????? uh
My 30 gig is almost full...... Not that Im getting a bigger 1 but....

Do you listen to 30 gig of music everyday? Does anyone?

Sounds like you just dump your entire collection of music to your iPod like I used to.

I have a iPod specific smart playlist that I occasionally change/update for stuff I actually listen to on my iPod. I was worried when I ordered my iPod that the ten gig model was going to be too small until I learned how to properly use iTunes.

A lot of the bigger drive is better mentality comes from the peecee world where people have to use their incredibly slow USB connection to download their music and need a player as big as their entire library to avoid having to wait for for such a slow process.
 
Comment

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
1,262
0
East Bay, CA
I read AppleTurns religiously. AppleTurns has been my daily does for four years (even when they failed to update for moths at a time). I love them to death, but I'd have to say that this story is blown FAR out of proportion. They don't site any source (other than a failed MR report). It's speculation.

Anyone who gives this any credit isn't using their head.

Dan

edit: As for storage space, I have 35 GB of tunes in my library and I want to access them all at any time. Maybe you aren't picky, but if I don't have an album on my iPod I can guarantee that I will want to play it.
 
Comment

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
4,454
2,592
around the world
Would be great

A cheaper iPod would really be great. If the price comes down to $150 I could really justify the purchase.

I really love this little toy.
 
Comment

Trimix

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2003
201
0
Switzerland
I am not sure what the fascination would be on the lower end.
I have moved 836 songs from CD to my i-mac, that is 5.05 gig.
This represents the songs i like on 1/3 of my CD collection. Which means at this rate I would need at least 15gig.
There is probably a song or two a week I discover, and enjoy enough to keep. If I wish my song collection with me I feel even 35 or 40 gig wont cut it.
It has nothing to do with size, but all with convenience. If it comes down to it, we are all hunters and gatherers, the i-pod satisfies this neanderthal instinct :)
 
Comment

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
356
0
Originally posted by Tuttle
Do you listen to 30 gig of music everyday? Does anyone?

Sounds like you just dump your entire collection of music to your iPod like I used to.

Actually yes.
I do want to carry most of my music with me. I don't want to go thru the hassle of making special playlists etc. etc.
I don't have a lot of time so.
The more the better.
 
Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
15,591
4,251
Originally posted by alset
I read AppleTurns religiously. AppleTurns has been my daily does for four years (even when they failed to update for moths at a time). I love them to death, but I'd have to say that this story is blown FAR out of proportion. They don't site any source (other than a failed MR report). It's speculation.

Anyone who gives this any credit isn't using their head.

You gotta read between the lines. ;)

arn
 
Comment

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
3,807
300
Asheville, NC
This would be great. There are several people who I've shown my iPod to who would love to get one, but can't fathom spending $300+ on one.

A < $200 iPod would be a good thing.
 
Comment

Vroem

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2002
56
4
Brussels, Belgium, Europe
Which of the iPod's competitors are actually real hard disks (mass storage devices)? I know that you can even boot Mac OS from an iPod, but is that passible with other MP3 players?

Creative says that apple is lying about having the first "hard drive music player" but their own player is NOT a hard drive!
 
Comment

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
27,397
12,513
I'm holding out upgrading my iPod until they put a G5 in it. I also read a dual G5 is possible.
 
Comment

mechamac

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2003
119
0
VERY interesting

While AT rarely dips into rumor mongering territory, I can't think of a time in recent years when they were wrong - when conflicting rumor reports fly the AT spin has always been correct.

Very, VERY, interesting.

Maybe I'll be getting my first iPod soon...
 
Comment

TomSmithMacEd

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2003
350
0
Fargo, ND
Originally posted by Toby O Notoby
Exec #1: Hey, let's build a cheaper version of the iPod, we could probably sell millions of them as Christmas presents!

Exec #2: Brilliant! When should we release them?

Exec #3: I was thinking sometime in January.

Yeah, my parents won't get me one because they think they are too exensive:( . But I don't know if 5gb would be big enough for me seeming my music collection is at 7gb+ and growing rapidly, but beggers cannot be choosers I guess.
 
Comment

orion123

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2003
100
0
Boston
When AtAT posts a rumor in the way that they did: "strong feeling" etc. you know that something is up. They post about two "self-started" rumors per year and I can't remember when they were wrong.

They must have a real high-up trusted source in Apple who they treat well and don't risk his/her job like the other rumors sites often do.
 
Comment

the_mole1314

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
774
0
Akron, OH
What have I been saying, eh? I believe that it's late and last time I talked to my source he said around Turky Day. Oh well, can't wait for this new 'pod to come out!
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.