Cheaper to break 3G contract and buy 3GS than to upgrade early

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tommy33, Jun 18, 2009.

1. tommy33 macrumors newbie

I bought the iPhone 3G in June 2008. My monthly bills are $75 plus taxes, which comes out to $96. AT&T says if I upgrade to the iPhone 3GS (16gb) before December 2009, I'll have to pay $399 instead of $199.

Breaking my contract, though, would cost $120. Thus, it's $80 cheaper to break the contract and buy the 3GS than to upgrade early. I just have to decide whether $80 is worth losing my phone number.

Why am I being forced to make such a nonsensical choice?

2. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

Because when you cancel your contract ATT has the right to deny you service for 90 days!....... I would not do that just spend the extra 80 Dollars

3. tommy33 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for letting me know. I put the question to AT&T--why breaking the contract costs $80 less than upgrading early. I'll be interested to see if I get anything other than a cut-and-paste of the terms in response.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You will also likely lose your phone number if you cancel and sign up again.

5. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

I don't see how you're being forced since you signed the original contract stating that you would continue the service for 2 yrs. There is always something new around the corner. If everyone can upgrade as new customer regardless of their current state, it would make signing contracts meaningless. Just because you don't want to keep your end of the bargin doesn't mean AT&T is forcing you to do anything.

6. croy macrumors newbie

Just keep your current iPhone 3G. When it comes time to upgrade there will be a new iphone out that you will be trying to figure out how to get.