Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macsrules

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
I am sure this has been asked before but probably not like this. Okay, Here's the question and the challenge.

Domain Names can get expensive especially when you buy a lot and they come up for renewal. So, I have been searching for the best deal out there and so far this is what I have found.

1. Yahoo - They offer a $2 dollar registration fee. Problem!

They whack you when your names come due for renewal. The price is like 12.95 for the renewal that way they make up the 2 dollar incentive.

I know, Godaddy, is fair priced but again when you have a lot of names it gets expensive. So,

2. What is the cheapest way to register names, don't need any bells and whistles just the straight registry. When looking at this site http://domain-registration.domaintools.com/index.php?o=cid&s=a&page=12

It seems the standard it 6.95 as the lowest price? Is that as low as registry's can go?

Is there a way to bypass the sites and go directly to the source and register names?

How come companies like GoDaddy can go register domain names at the main location and people can't, they have to go through companies like GoDaddy?

Is there someone that registers for 2 and keeps renewal at 2?

Let me know your thoughts and what you have found out on the subject?

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
You'd have to be a reseller of domain names to get the lower prices, but then of course you would up what you paid when selling them to others, which is why you can't find overly low prices, but $7/year is very inexpensive. When I registered with Yahoo there was no registration fee and the first year was only $4 and since then only $9/year. Though I'll be switching this year as it looks like it's just a matter of time before M$ buys them out.

The ones I've been looking at are around $10/year and frankly I wouldn't go with the overly cheap ones because they tend to have bad service and you can end up getting locked out of the domain names you bought. Wikipedia has a bit on that subject that I read through when searching for domain name registrars. Be sure to do some research on a company before you decide on them.

macsrules

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
angelwatt,

You know, I agree, service is everything when buying consumer goods however, when registering a Domain Name if you know what you are doing you only need two things.

1. A company that can register your name so that no one else can get it.

2. The ability to point their DNS at your own web server or company hosting your site.

All the other stuff is just useless add-ons if you want more control.

Does it cost anything to be a reseller?

If you can set up your own web server with DNS, how do you apply to resell names?

Are there any clear instructions on how to go about doing this?

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
The only one I really looked at was Tucows, and it did have a fee of about $100. I haven't read up enough on it though to provide any deeper information about it.

The add-ons aren't what you need to worry about from registrars, it's their business practices. I've read stories of them locking people away from their domain name and trying to charge them more to get it back or selling off the domain name to someone else without warning to the original owner. I found these stories by starting at Wikipedia on their list of registrars. GoDaddy seems to be the most popular, but after reading a bit about them I don't see myself ever doing business with them.

ajchapinjr.com

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
Name.com offers domain registration for 5.99 annually. I've got close to 20 domains registered with them, and couldn't be happier.

macsrules

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
ajchapinjr.com,

That is not bad, 5.99 you save a buck from GoDaddy. What are the Renewal fee's, here is the disclaimer I got from the site " *limited time offer. 1 year new registrations only."

I guess after your first year they go up?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.