Cheapest prepaid/GoPhone carrier/plan for ultimited text and at least 300 minutes?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by U88, Aug 26, 2010.

1. U88 macrumors member

So the family contract is almost up, but we are dissatisfied. Plus the family plan isn't being used to its full potential (just 750 minutes), without any texting or data plans. So I want to buy my own phone and plan (looking into buying without the need of a contract if it's cheaper).

I would like unlimited text because living off AIM with wifi is killing me (texts sometimes come up as weird characters and waiting to get home is a pain). Plus I've observed that I use less than 300 minutes over the course of a month (without texting). So maybe I could even go less.

I know AT&T and T-Mobile have SIM cards which interests me and they have prepaid/GoPhone plans. Ideas?

2. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Really the only good choice to make is Virgin Mobile. Virgin recently acquired usage of the Verizon network, which is the best 3G network out right now. I use Tmobile and it's good where I am but my friend who has Virgin gets service in places I don't. His plan is unlimited text and 3G data with 300 minutes for 30.00 a month. You have to pay for the phone up front but that isn't a big deal.

Virgin Mobile's Website;
    http://www.virginmobileusa.com/

And the $25.00 a month plan is here;
    http://www.virginmobileusa.com/cell-phone-plans/beyond-talk-plans.jsp?intcmp=p-hp-mps1-25plan

The LG Rumor Touch is the one my friend got, he likes it so far. I would like to join the bandwagon but I like using Youtube on my HTC. Once they get a phone that is as capable of my phone (similar to the iPhone) then I'm on board. I currently pay $90.00/month for my plan which is unlimited data/text, 300 minutes, and insurance for my phone.

3. U88 thread starter macrumors member

Looks promising, I'll definitely check it out! They don't have a large selection on phones, but that isn't a big deal because I don't particularly need a fancy phone, just something that's cheap and effective. My iPod Touch can handle my other needs.

Does Virgin Mobile not have unlimited night and weekend minutes? I wasn't sure what the FAQ meant when all Beyond Talk minutes would be anytime minutes. I also am wondering if there is unlimited mobile-to-mobile. Couldn't find that in the FAQ either. Thanks!

4. U88 thread starter macrumors member

5. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I'm not quite sure on the details of the plans, but you can go up in minutes from 300 to 600 to unlimited. I think the unlimited only costs 20-30 dollars more than the base plan. You are still saving money compared to other carriers.

EDIT: Here is the breakdown;

[​IMG]

6. U88 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I figured reading the FAQs and the questions people have asked, there is no unlimited night/weekend. That's okay, I'd still like to have unlimited mobile to mobile so I can talk to my family free anytime...

Do you think you can ask your friend?

7. U88 thread starter macrumors member

Just to add...

If it doesn't have either, what is the second cheapest carrier that has unlimited mobile to mobile and/or unlimited night/weekends with at least unlimited texting? (I don't really need a data plan).

It's important because I will be texting a lot, yet I would like to call often after hours for business purposes (such as tech support where I'll be on hold for many minutes at a time).