cheapest used iphones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LucidPsychosis, Jan 6, 2012.

1. LucidPsychosis macrumors regular

So I've coveted the iPhone ever since the first one was released. Unfortunately, I've been on Verizon for years, so the iPhone has been available on my network for just about a year. However, I was in the middle of a contract and couldn't really afford to pay full price for an iPhone, so I've done without one still.

My contract is up later this year, and I've decided that I'll force myself to wait for the 5 to upgrade, even if it meant waiting another few months. However, I'm getting a pretty strong iPhone itch, so I thought, if I could, I would pick up a used 4 or 4S to tide me over until I can use my upgrade on the 5.

I've checked Craigslist and had no luck, and I have a couple of bids for cheap ones on Ebay, but I don't really expect to win one. I don't want to pay out the wazoo for a used one when I'll be getting a new one later this year, but I could go up to $100ish without griping. I'd go $200, but not a penny more, and it would have to be in pristine condition and have a large capacity.

Does anyone know of any site/chain that has used ones that are consistently cheap? I'm not paying $500+ for something I'll be replacing in a few months.

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Most used 4's are still going for more than that, sorry!

3. LucidPsychosis thread starter macrumors regular

Seriously? :( I thought there might be some cool secret site that I didn't know about, but perhaps not.

4. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

If there was, I think you'd see a million posts on it and everyone would be buying there.

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

FYI those cool cheap sites are BS.. People can say what they want about iPhones. but they get top dollar resale.your price range a 3g maybe a 3gs if your lucky..

6. ann713 macrumors 65816

Right on. OP's best option is just to continue looking on Craig's List. You won't find anything less than $250 though, unless it comes with some kind issue.

7. andyx3x, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012

andyx3x macrumors 65816

Expect to pay at least $300 on Craigslist at the present time for an iPhone 4 that is rated a 8/10 or higher. This price is for a 16gb. If you're looking for a 32gb in the same condition, you would have to pay at least a minimum of $350.

8. aneftp macrumors 601

OP.

The full price of an iPhone is $650/750. That's the price Verizon AT&T and other carriers pay.

In return for a 2 year contract Verizon etc will let u have a $400 discount.

I think you are simply in realistic about used iPhone pricing.

1. Apple products maintain their value the most.

If you want to pay in the $100s, you may get lucky and get a 18 month old Android CDMA device.

But expecting a 10/10 condition high storage (aka 32gb iPhone 4) for no more than $200 is unrealistic.

Just remember all Verizon iPhone 4 are still under full warranty.

Like the other posters said, $250 for a 16gb or $300 and up for 32gb iPhone 4 CDMA would be an excellent low ball price of you can find one.

Simply law of supply and demands.

9. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Not exactly full price. ATT and Verizon and Sprint has some sort of discount because they are buying in bulk.

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The OP has been around a while. I can't help but think this isn't a serious question. Sorry if I am wrong, but $200 iPhone? REALLY? If you find that site, please direct me towards a $10,000 Mercedes, Audi, or other luxury car because I would like one of those myself. :p

----------

Last I heard Sprint had to PAY APPLE to get the iPhone. I am sure VZW had to do something similar. They may pay less per phone than retail, but the debts are still there.

11. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

LOL 10,000$ mercedes

Let me in on this too!

Yeah, just stating that the companies to get a slight discount, the data plans and 2 year contracts pulls them miles ahead of the debt line though.

12. aneftp macrumors 601

Yes. Carriers get slight discounts. But it's very little. At most 5-10% in bulk. Still costing carriers over $600 for the iPhone.

Just look at what sprint CEO said, "sprint pays 40% more subsidy for iPhone" than any other smartphone they carry. Just simply math means sprint is paying close to $600 for the iPhone and than subsidizing the customer close to $400 for a 2 year contract.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I know Sprint wasn't projected to get ahead for something like 2-3 years. It was an article on here and on other sites. I do tend to take news from sites like this with a grain of salt though. :)

14. hexonxonx macrumors 601

For a good iPhone 4, I was looking on CL and the best price was about $300 for the 16GB and $400+ for the 32.

3GS iPhones are all over the place for price on CL, anywhere from $170 to $300 for a 32GB.

15. jedolley macrumors 68000

Sprint didn't pay Apple to get the iPhone, but did make an agreement to purchase a certain amount over a period of years.

16. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

I would love an iPhone but they are just too expensive for what they are, even second hand, when my Nokia 1100 does phones calls just as well.

I'm not the only one thinks so;

17. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Wow! Ancient!

18. WildGuess macrumors regular

I've been treated right by cowboom dot com. Over a couple of years picked up two 2g's and a 3g. Check with them every few days. They have deals. I know you don't want anything that old. Just saying that the ones they sent were in good condition and fairly priced.

19. Savor Suspended

Savor

I think the cheapest used iPhones is the 2G ones. You can get those for $80-$125. Just be wary of the battery life. I got a 2G for $90 and it was an excellent and recently got a battery replacement. I checked, and it has as good as battery as my Nexus One which I got new.

But if you want 3Gs or higher, expect over $175 for a second hand. Depends on conditions and timing. The 4's is still a high asking price at $300+. But keep checking every day on CL. I got a Samsung Focus in 9/10 condition for only $100 and that phone came out in Nov 2010. Most used ones on CL got for a minimum of $175. I was lucky because SoCal is enriched with some pretty good deals from people. Go anywhere else, and it means it is rarer in that town or small city which means the price is higher.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wow, you will go up to $200, but not a penny more?
    Then you're definatelly not getting any iphone 4 or 4S unless they're really smashed or damaged.
    Good luck though.
    But for those prices its not gonna happen.
    Also be carefull with Verizon iphones cause if they're reported lost or stolen or the account is in default you will not be able to activate it with your phone number.