Cheapest way to buy older model but new/refurb iPhone for calls only

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jekjones1558, Oct 11, 2014.

1. jekjones1558 macrumors 6502

I have a Verizon Share Everything plan with unlimited minutes. I can add hubby to plan for $15/month. He is technology illiterate and is currently using a dumb phone that needs to be replaced. I want to get him an older model iPhone that is new or refurbed to use for calls only, since he doesn't do anything else with his phone. I don't want to do Craigslist or Ebay. Has anyone bought an older model no contract Verizon iPhone that is new or refurbed for cheap? Where? How old do I dare go if only using for calls. Would an iPhone 4 be okay? (I don't think I need to worry about the latest iOS if he is only using it for phone calls.)

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I wouldnt suggest a dinosaur iphone 4 though.
    That's a 4-5 year old phone.
    Get him something newer like an iphone 5 at least so its not as slow or outdated.
    You can find some new or refurbished online. Ebay, amazon,even carriers sometime sell older refurbished devices for cheap.

3. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Find some friends that upgrade. LOL. I have friends every year that wait for me to upgrade then buy my daughter's old phone (since daughter gets my hand me downs).

4. jekjones1558 thread starter macrumors 6502

I just gave away my iPhone 5 to a friend who couldn't really afford an iPhone any other way. I also gave away my old 4 when I got the 5. Now I am nervous to buy used.