Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imfrog2002

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Okay, I accept it. There's a 99% chance that my mac is fried. Spilled soda, screen went black, you know the drill. I powered it down, and have used a blowdryer to try and get it dry (yes, I opened it up, I figured the warranty was blown anyway.) Still going to wait for a total of 4 days. If it's fried, I know that Apple won't fix it. What's the cheapest way that I can fix it? I'm fairly sure that it's just the logic board that needs to be fixed. Would the HDD, RAM, fan, or optical drive have suffered any damage? It went over virtually the entire keyboard, as it was a full glass. Thanks.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
The cheapest fix would be to never drink while using your laptop.

But, now that you did, it is quite possible that your mac is completely demolished.

I would take out the RAM, Hard Drive, etc. would then take it almost all apart and clean it thoroughly with a little bit of rubbing alcohol and some Q-Tips.
Then let it dry by having a fan blow on it.

If that doesn't work, it would be easier and cheaper to just sell the water spill damaged mac as parts on ebay or on here, and just keep the hard drive so you can hopefully put it in a case and use it as an external for your new mac.

Good luck.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Personally, I used the alcohol bath on mine -- but what I spilled on it dissolved better in alcohol that water.

Got the machine working for 3 more years before the PSU died.

So a water bath or alcohol depending on what you dropped on it with q-tips to scrub with to remove stubborn residue.

Didn't dunk it just the spray from a squirt bottle to let the stuff run down the side into a bowl.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
Okay, I accept it. There's a 99% chance that my mac is fried. Spilled soda, screen went black, you know the drill. I powered it down, and have used a blowdryer to try and get it dry (yes, I opened it up, I figured the warranty was blown anyway.) Still going to wait for a total of 4 days. If it's fried, I know that Apple won't fix it. What's the cheapest way that I can fix it? I'm fairly sure that it's just the logic board that needs to be fixed. Would the HDD, RAM, fan, or optical drive have suffered any damage? It went over virtually the entire keyboard, as it was a full glass. Thanks.

http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts/MacBook-Core-2-Duo-2-GHz-Santa-Rosa-Logic-Board/IF186-048 $600.

Bet you wish Apple offered accidental damage coverage like everyone else ;)

imfrog2002

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Well, I turned it on today, and it was a miracle. IT WORKS. Trust me, I've learned my lesson, though. Still, it's just like it never happened. Wow.

Mushrooshi

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2007
On a side note, I have an L desk, and U place food and drinks on the other wing. I suggest you do too.

spenc247

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2008
help

Help!!!

3 days ago i spilt 12oz of Mountain Dew on my MACBOOK and as soon as i did that i turned it off and wiped it off, and held it under a fan for two days, and sometime would try turning it on than turning it back off, and it would turn on, but not the screen,...i recently have taken the battery out and have taken a blow-dryer to it and it is currently sitting in a TEEPEE stand with a fan blowing on it...(i havent tried turning it on for awhile) i kno its most likely water damage, but if anybody knows more about this please please let me kno

Foggydog

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2014
Left Coast
I'm always at a loss for words when these threads come up. I have had my 2009 MBP well, since 2009 and never spilled anything on it. This considering I'm a trucker and haul this bad boy into and around truck stops, in my truck, to my parents, to hotels when my truck breaks down. I am not saying that I couldn't screw up today, but I am soo protective of this because if I did kill it out here, I would be completely lost. Hmmm Ok,thats my .02

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.