Cheapest way to ship a MBP from North America to Asia?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by puma1552, Sep 26, 2010.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

My friend has made her decision on what MBP she wants to buy, and now we are going to order it. Due to the fact the local currency is extremely strong against the dollar right now (something like a 20+ year high), it's much, much cheaper (like several hundred dollars) to buy from Apple America and ship it over here, even after factoring in expensive shipping costs to get it from the house in America where it will be shipped initially to here.

I did this back in 2008 with my machine that is being replaced, and saved myself a couple hundred bucks; just had to make sure that my sister shipped it out to me right away and it was in my hands within 14 days of when she got it in case it was DOA or whatever. It wasn't cheap though, it was almost $200. Looking around a little, that sadly seems to be the going rate.

What shipping carrier/method would you suggest?

2. Mercilesz macrumors newbie

asia is HUGE, which part? otherwise cant give u specifics

3. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

4. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

Hey i ship stuff often from the United kingdom to southern ontario canada and it runs me about $75 canadian for 1 parcel. Try going onto international couriers websites like Fedex, Ups, DHL and try figuring out a price, i ordered my macbook pro off the apple website and i spent the extras $26 on expedited shipping and it shipped from shezhen china to my door in souther ontario in 3 days.

5. Harmless Abuse macrumors regular

I don't know if it'll fit, but I think a USPS flat rate box might work. Something like $20USD. I've never had to ship a computer our with it though. I ship stuff to Saitama monthly with them though. It might take longer than the 14 day shipping.

6. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Fedex Intl economy service is the most reliable abd relatively cheap service that I have used. Fully traceable and can be insured for the value of the computer. Also if they fail on meeting their delivery commitment, you get a full refund of the shipping cost (even if they deliver 1 min after the commited time)

DHL service however is usually 10% cheaper than Fedex international economy.

7. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I had a package mailed to me from Germany (A set of Apple posters), and they used DHL. It took two and a half months to get here! I would never use DHL.

8. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

usps flat rate wouldn't be big enough

go with fedex or the equivalent

9. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

Agreed

10. aerove macrumors 6502

aerove

I'm confused.. on top of the Shipping costs.. wont there be any customs taxes for shipping hi-value electronics into the country ?

11. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

DHL mainly uses cargo ship, shouldn't really ship anything with them unless its really big.

I had my MBP shipped to me by apple form ireland, they used TNT

12. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

About $30 on $3,000