Cheapest way to upgrade from 10.4.11 to the latest OS X?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Amnesiac1, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Amnesiac1 macrumors 6502

I recently purchased the latest Mac Office 2011 but it apparently will not install unless I have Mac OS X version 10.5.8. So, I'm thinking about making the upgrade for that reason, among a few others.

Apple doesn't offer student discounts on software, right? So, is my only option the Mac Box Set? If so, which is the latest version of that Box Set, because I'm seeing various versions priced differently all over the internet. Some come close to 200 dollars, but I called my Apple Store and they told me it was cost around 110 dollars. I wish I could forgo iWork and iLife and simply grab the latest version of Snow Leopard...

Thanks!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If you don't overly care about the conditions then the cheap 10.5->10.6 actually works to upgrade from 10.4. There are about 10000000000 threads on here saying so.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The cheaper snow leopard upgrade disk will install, but if you want to actually follow the EULA, you need to get the Mac Box set.

4. Amnesiac1 thread starter macrumors 6502

You mean the thirty dollar one? Really? Hm, I called my local Apple Store inquiring about that and the employee insisted that this would not be possible.

EULA?

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

End-User License Agreement. You agree to one pretty much any time you install any piece of software. You should really read them but no-one ever does.

Edit: you really should read them though. GameStation ended up owning the souls of some of it's customers when they failed to read it's terms and conditions!

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

When you buy OSX, retail version, it doesn't come with iLife or iWork.

7. Amnesiac1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there somewhere where I can legally purchase and download the Mac Box Set?

I don't want to violate the EULA, so I'd also like to know which Mac Box Set is the latest version? This one, priced at $139.00, right? See image below:

[​IMG]

Is the version pictured above indeed the absolute latest version and will it allow me to upgrade from Tiger 10.4.11? Also, if I purchase this presumably latest version, will I need this?

[​IMG]

I'm assuming I obviously won't need this at all if I get the Mac Box Set, but Amazon has both the Box Set and this separate Leopard upgrade available as a bundle purchase, which I found somewhat curious.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

In none of your posts in this thread do you state which model Mac you have. Please be advised that Office 2011 requires an Intel-based Mac.

9. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

The latest version of the Mac Box Set would include Snow Leopard (with a license to install it on any Intel-based computer), iLife 11, and iWork. You do _not_ need the Snow Leopard upgrade box, it is included in the Mac Box Set, so the combination that Amazon is offering is really strange (if you wanted to install the box set on one Mac and Snow Leopard on another, you would be better off with the Box Set family pack). Make sure you get the box set with iLife 11; the older Mac Box Set comes with iLife 9. The picture looks as if they are selling it with iLife 11.

Out of curiosity I check out eBay. Copies of MacOS X 10.5 (Leopard) seem to sell for around £75, which I find incredible high (the Mac Box Set is £119 at the Apple Store).

10. rprebel macrumors 6502

rprebel

The $30 10.6 "upgrade" disc will work just fine, assuming you have an Intel based Mac.

11. Amnesiac1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry about that. I have an Intel-based MBP.

Thanks for the reply!

So I've been told, but I don't want to get myself into any trouble or incur any other annoying consequences (i.e., being unable to access more incremental upgrades for 'free' in the future) by violating the EULA.

Also, are you referring to the original $30 Leopard upgrade disc -- which no longer seems to be widely available -- or the Snow Leopard upgrade disc?

12. rprebel macrumors 6502

rprebel

The Snow Leopard upgrade is what I was talking about. You won't have any problems upgrading to 10.6.4 (or 10.6.5 when it comes out) using that. I didn't.:)

13. Amnesiac1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hm, I see... but, given that an Apple Store employee neglected to inform me of this much cheaper solution, as well as the fact that installing Leopard in this way apparently violates the EULA, I imagine Apple does not want its customers circumventing the Mac Box Set. Does that make it illegal, then? Or, can I install Snow Leopard via the thirty dollar upgrade disc and still adhere to the EULA? What is Apple's stance on this issue? Their marketing and website information certainly neglects to mention that Tiger users can upgrade via the cheaper disc.

Also, if I were to install via the thirty dollar Snow Leopard upgrade disc, are you sure I wouldn't have to pay for further upgrades beyond that? Also, if I install via the cheaper upgrade disc, does it delete everything off my HD? I read somewhere else that this is what inevitably happens...

14. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"You mean the thirty dollar one? Really? Hm, I called my local Apple Store inquiring about that and the employee insisted that this would not be possible."

NOT TRUE.

They're just trying to sell you something.

You DO NOT NEED the "more expensive" DVD.

All you need is the $29 "Snow Leopard Upgrade" DVD.

You can find this even cheaper at some places, down around $25.

THIS DVD WILL DO WHAT YOU NEED (shouting very intentional).

I personally upgraded my white Intel iMac that has never "seen" OS 10.5 directly from 10.4.11 to 10.6 using the $29 "upgrade" DVD. I can attest that it works without problems.

For best results, I would suggest you back up the current contents of your HD, and use the DVD to reinitialize the drive and do a completely fresh & clean install of Snow Leopard.

Then, create your new account and run all the updates.

Then, "migrate" your older stuff over. I believe "Migration Assistant" will work, but I _recommend_ that you consider "migrating by hand", selectively moving what you need and leaving other stuff behind.

And again, you DO NOT need the "full" install DVD -- the $29 "upgrade" is what you want.

15. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You won't get into any sort of trouble by installing SL over Tiger. Apple knew lots of people would do this. If they wanted to stop it they could have asked for Leopard verification but they didn't.

16. udndcs macrumors newbie

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm in a very similar situation as amnesiac.

I recently purchased my wife a new MBP with Snow Leopard. I currently have an older intel MBP w/ 10.4.11. In the interest of upgrading my OSX and also making mine compatible with the new Office 2011 (which we want to install on both MBPs), I need to get from 10.4.11 to 10.6.4.

Some questions:
    1) What's the best utility for backing up my current hard drive on the Tiger machine? I've used Carbon Copy Cloner, but is there a better software out there for protecting my data? What's the best/easiest/safest way to backup in Tiger since it doesn't have Time Machine?

2) I have the 10.6.3 install disk that came with the MBP. Disc version 1.0 2Z691-6623-A. I've tried to use it to install 10.6 on my 10.4 machine, but I get an error message stating "OSX cannot be installed on this machine." Any ideas on if I would be able to use this disc to upgrade? Or will I need to get the $29 upgrade?

3) Fishr, regarding your comment: "use the DVD to reinitialize the drive and do a completely fresh & clean install of Snow Leopard." How do I reinitialize my existing drive?

Much love and appreciation to anyone who can provide some direction on this process! Thanks!

17. Amnesiac1 thread starter macrumors 6502

So, installing with the cheaper standalone disc will wipe everything off my HD, then? There is no way to circumvent this? I necessarily have to back everything up?

Because, as of right now, I don't have an external HD.

18. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

1. CarbonCopyCloner and SuerDuper are quite capable applications and will make a 1:1 copy (clone) of your data and OS.
    2. Those grey Restore DVDs are model specific and won't work with any other Mac than with the exact same model, like MacBook Pro 4,2 DVDs will not work with MacBook Pro 4,1 models. MRoogle has maybe even thousands of threads about this, if you need confirmation. The 29 USD version will have to do.
    3. I think reinitialisation is just another (incorrect) word for erasing and formatting the HDD.

19. Gregg2 macrumors 603

No, you can't. But, it does work, as others stated.

20. Amnesiac1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Important: Is backing up your hard drive as easy as simply dumping all the contents inside of your HD icon into an external HD?

Because I borrowed an external HD from a friend, I now have the Mac Box Set, and I want to start installing. But, first, I want to make sure that backing up my HD is as easy as I think it is...

21. Amnesiac1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I dragged and dropped my "Users" folder from my HD into the external HD. It asked for my password and told me that certain files could not be transferred over for some reason.

I'm only doing this because I'm afraid that once I upgrade to Leopard that I might lose all my files... but since certain files can't transfer over to the external HD for some reason, that also worries me!

Is the Users folder all I need to transfer over? Does it contain every file that exists on my computer?

22. 1911 macrumors member

Cheapest way to upgrade from 10.4.11 to the latest OS X?

I just returned the Office 2011, purchased the Box Set, the guy behind the Apple Genius bar stated SL would upgrade 10.4 AND 10.5, and it did. So I ended up with a cheap upgrade and saved $199.00 on Office 2011.