Cheated by seller - activated blocked by Itunes. what to do?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dyurlova, Jan 30, 2011.

1. dyurlova macrumors member

Hi everyone,
    I purchased iphone 4 on ebay. Seller claimed the item is brand new, never unused. But he lied! :( Someone was trying to activate the iphone but entered wrong details and apparently itunes blocked activation!
    So now i can't activate whatsoever. I purcahsed activation sim but it didnt work :(
    what to do now?
    Any hacktivation tools? :eek:
    thank you

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Go to a phone store selling iPhones. If you can't activate the phone, they won't get money off you, so they will be glad to help you. There is of course the risk that the phone you bought was stolen and they find out, in which case that's it.

3. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Why don't you just return the phone and buy a new one from a more reputable seller, go through paypal disputes and explain in detail what happened. They are each handled by an actual person, and the chances of getting your money back are really high.

4. dyurlova thread starter macrumors member

the thing is the seller is in USA and i am in Russia so i cant really go to the store...
    I opened a case in ebay ... but second after seller sent them something they closed it with zero refund ... is there another way through paypal?

5. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

- Sign into eBay
    - Go to Won/Purchased
    - Find your iPhone purchase, press 'Resolve a problem'
    - Select 'My item doesn't match the seller's description'

It will redirect you to the PayPal site after selecting the item number.

Then just follow those steps to complete a PayPal dispute which will take about 2 weeks but it will be worth it.

6. dyurlova thread starter macrumors member

Just opened a case. Is paypal more impartial organization while deciding about the dispute than ebay?

7. geko29 macrumors 6502

They're actually the same company. But PayPal ALWAYS sides with the buyer, even if they're lying (not saying you are, just that they don't care).

8. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Actually I've won a few times against buyers who were scammers. If you have all the facts straight you should be ok.

Moral of the story: avoid ebay for high tech purchases (at least iphones). What a surprise: a seller who lied.

9. dyurlova thread starter macrumors member

I know ... Why i did this is because iphones are double the price in Russia - around USD 1300 for Iphone 4 32GB

10. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

11. dyurlova thread starter macrumors member

12. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

I stand corrected. I'll piggy back on what others said and file dispute. Provide pictures and all the info.

13. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

14. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Meh. I would argue that this is the exception rather than the rule, though any transaction between Russia and the USA deserves more scrutiny.

I have sold a dozen phones on eBay, several of them iPhones, without any hitch whatsoever...

15. dyurlova thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, thought you were countering that price here is 1300USD.

Hmm about pictures ... what exactly could i picture as proof? The phone indeed came with no single scratch and with scratch proof transparent stickers etc. But there was sim card inside ....

Could anyone tell me how does it work there? When you buy in apple strore USA sim card is already inserted or you get sealed phone and sim-card comes separately?

16. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I wonder if calling Apple Support in the USA would help? It's a long shot, but maybe they'd be able to assist you. Or even by email?

17. dyurlova thread starter macrumors member

how would i do this .. i tried to find some emails of customer support but before you get that you must create account in apple.com, which requires you to be american citizen and provide all the relevant information ... I was trying that way but ended up nowhere :(

18. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Don't AT&T iPhones come with a SIM pre-installed?

19. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

If you are in Russia then why not try registering here?
    http://www.apple.com/ru/

20. dyurlova, Jan 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2011

dyurlova thread starter macrumors member

think i saw this page ... but thought they would provide technical support for products purchased directly from their resellers .... bang they say if you need technical support call your operator (provider of wireless services) .... obviously not applicable

I don't know .... It came to me like this ... I don't know if it's standard there

21. bender o macrumors 6502

bender o

I gotta agree here, I've also bought several high tech phones and other devices on eBay, the thing is to buy from sellers with good reputation and that's it :D

22. dyurlova thread starter macrumors member

23. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F5153d Safari/6533.18.5)

Are you activating it with a US iTunes account? You can only activate an AT&T iPhone with a US iTunes account, unless you unlock it. It won't activate with a Russian account. That night be what the error you're getting is.

24. HPLouis macrumors regular

AT&T iPhones come with the SIM already installed.

25. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Personally I do not think the seller tried to cheat you.
    They sold you a locked AT&T iPhone.
    You should have made sure it was in fact unlocked before you bought it.
    The seller said on the listing:
    A hard lesson to have learnt. :(

Edit:
    It seems the seller was as naive as you in this. They sold a USD690+ item to a buyer overseas with no previous eBay history… yikes!