[CHECK THIS] WTF!!!? Piece of Glass(?) In between iPhone 4.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jare, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

Edit: I am within my 30 day return / 15 minute return policy for Rogers/Apple. I'm wondering if I'm able to fully return the phone, which will reset my HUP and then re-buy the phone for $499 to by-pass getting a replacement phone in a black box.

You guys aren't going to believe this, and I will be providing pictures as soon as possible.

I just bought a new iPhone 4 32GB after returning my 16GB. Not only did I find 2 black dots under the glass of the front screen on the DISPLAY that wont clean off, but after inspecting the back of the phone I noticed that there is a piece of what looks like to be GLASS between the BACK panel and the metal antenna at the bottom, close to the left side speaker.

It actually separates the back panel from the metal antenna by a little by the glass piece in the corner.. The glass piece isn't HUGE but large enough to notice it.

There also isn't any broken glass on my iPhone 4 so I have no idea where this came from.

Sorry for the low-quality photo's. The pictures don't do it justice at ALL. Took them with my webcam.

The piece of glass is right above the screw on the left side of the picture. You can actually see it separating the back slightly in pic #1, but they're low quality pictures so it's hard to see.

Attached Files:

2. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

No pictures are almost better than those. :p I think I know what you are trying to show, but I am not sure.

Not much we can do to help. Go exchange this one too? ;)

3. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Not gonna lie, some better quality pics could help a lot more.

4. Jare thread starter macrumors 65816

Jare

My USB digital camera isn't being recognized by my Mac so I'm working on getting the pictures moved from the Digital -> Mac. I had to use my iSight cam to get those pics temporarily.

5. Jare thread starter macrumors 65816

Jare

Check picture #3, are you able to see it a bit better? It's right above the left screw.

****ing picture quality sucks and isn't doing this justice at ALL.

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

7. Jare thread starter macrumors 65816

Jare

I want to avoid a black box replacement (bad luck previously) and I'm within my 30 day return policy with Apple, and my 15 minutes/15 day return policy with Rogers. I think I'm going to attempt to fully return the phone, and re-do the HUP so I can get a BRAND new device vs. replacement.

8. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

You could just remove the back and get rid of whatever is under there. Just take screws out and slide glass back out. Its easy.

9. Jare thread starter macrumors 65816

Jare

Great idea although that will void my warranty. I know most people will say Apple will NEVER know, but they will. I've had so many replacements now that Apple actually takes a full blown look through of my device (sometimes taking it apart to check internals) to see if they can pin anything on me.

10. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

Trust me, if you're careful you'll be fine. It's not hard at all. Look on YouTube for videos of the process. There's no way apple will know.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Apple will not know

Also, Apple takes apart your phone for replacements??? I have had like probably 8 iphone 3g's and 3 iphone 4's and never once did they take it apart....most they did was check the water sensors in the headphone jack and dock

12. Jare thread starter macrumors 65816

Jare

I've had 15 3GS replacements, all for hardware defects (major issues, not minor) and now 3 iPhone 4 replacements. 2 16GB and 1 32gb.

13. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

I think god does not want you to have an iPhone. :p

14. giffut macrumors 6502

Not ...

... wanting to poke on you, but: With a that high failure rate, something is either wrong with your treatment of those phones or you live in some sort of Bermuda Triangle Friday Thirteenth Kindathing ...

15. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

15? :eek:
    I had 3 and considered that a lot!

16. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

15 3GS replacements? Surely that's for multiple ownings, not just one personal phone, right?

17. Jare thread starter macrumors 65816

Jare

2 separate lines, one for me and one for my Fiancee. Seems our Apple Store is cursed?

My line has had more replacements, 8 to her 7 (roughly).

I upgraded to the iPhone 4, she did not as she's seen I've already gone through 3 phones. Well, soon to be 3.

18. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

You're like Dylan from Charlie's Angels for iPhones.

Dylan : "He's hot!"

Alex : "Move in, he's our guy"

19. Jare thread starter macrumors 65816

Jare

I'm not really understanding the reference. Sorry :(

20. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

Not the only one. :p

21. John T macrumors 68020

John T

It's pretty obvious you are either extremely careless with your possessions or you are a "professional" complainer! ;)

22. Jare thread starter macrumors 65816

Jare

I baby my devices, no scratches/marks. It's always been something serious when a replacement was done, like touch screen not responding, no sound coming from the phone, etc.

23. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

Are you sure it's glass ?
    Plastic bits like what "barely" shows on your pics have been reported before. Just cut it off.

24. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

I found the same thing on my iPhone 4 too. It's a piece of plastic. I just cut it off with a xacto knife. Problem solved! :D

25. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

hey just wanna know who you did the HUP with?

if you did it through a Rogers store, most of them are franchise owned. if you did it through a Rogers plus store, you'll have better luck.

if you did it through the Apple store, i think you're in for a long ass ride with Rogers (not Apple) in terms of resetting your HUP eligibility.