Checklist app?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gravyboat, Dec 13, 2011.

1. gravyboat macrumors member

Does anyone know if theres's an App that will do the following? I really appreciate any feedback on this, it's the sole factor determining whether I get an iPhone as I can't justify the cost otherwise.

I do construction work and part of the job is creating punchlists. I'd like to be able to make a list of about 100 items and be able to check off the ones I need and email the list. More specifically, I'd like to scroll through the 100 items, check off certain ones, and have the unselected ones removed from the list.

Because I'm often working in a noisy environment, I don't think using Siri is an option.

Thanks very much.

2. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Paperless is probably the best list-making app on the iPhone. I believe it does everything you requested. I use it myself and love it.

3. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

you could probably find a use for reminders, it doesn't require you to use siri.

there are other apps like evernote or paperless that you could probably make work too, and it auto syncs with your computer/other devices so no need to e-mail the lists.

here are 5 todo apps for iphone that you may find interesting.
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/6-useful-to-do-list-apps-for-the-iphone/

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

The simplest solution is a program I use all the time called ShopShop. It lets you create a shopping list or a todo list. You then select the items you want for the list from a database you have created or create as you use it. You can then email it with the click of a button. Very easy to use and does exactly what you want.

5. redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

I'm curious. You say you can't justify the cost otherwise. So you mean that if a suitable checklist app isn't available, you can't justify the additional monthly data plan cost of converting from a basic phone ($0/mo) to a smartphone ($15+/mo)? Because if you're talking about the handset itself, iPhones start at $0. The smartphones which cost less than the iPhone 4S are also crappier than a 4S; whether you want to pay $0, $99, or $199, you're actually always paying a very good price relative to other smartphones.

Sorry that's off-topic, but I often hear from friends and family, and on forums, about iPhones being expensive. I've sometimes found that these people don't even know what an iPhone costs and just assumed that everything Apple is overpriced. Othertimes I see them using a $200 Android phone on an unlimited data plan and wonder exactly what expense they were referring to (maybe switching carriers, before more carriers had it?).

6. gravyboat thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Stampyhead- I'm going to see if I can find a way to play around with this somehow.

----------

I appreciate the suggestions. Email is essential, I'd be sending them to various people from the field.

----------

Sounds perfect- thanks. Will check this one out too.

----------

Good points- thanks. I'm on a tight budget though so even an extra $15 a month if I don't really need a smartphone is too much. And the truth is, I don't really need one or even particularly want one unless there's a suitable app available.

Thanks very much to everyone, this is very helpful and appreciated.

7. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

They have a free version as well so you can try before you buy. Paperless Lite

8. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

Wunderlist is free and syncs with your Mac/PC/Webapp. You can also share a list among several people and have it sync.

9. daboltz macrumors member

I use toodledo for my checklist
    its a decent app with reminders that pop-up
    it also uses the Frankin-Covey system with levels of importance

10. gravyboat thread starter macrumors member

Thanks- but sadly I don't have any device that'll run this.

----------

Cool- thanks. Somehow I'll figure out how to try all of these suggestions out.

----------

Sounds good- thanks.

----

Does anyone know if any of these apps automatically number the listed items?

Just to reiterate: I'd like to have a list of about 100 items, and be able to very quickly scroll through the list and click certain ones, and then email that list to various people. It would be great if the selected items were numbered. Thanks again to all.

11. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

is there an apple store near you?

since you don't own any iDevices, you could always make an iTunes account and head to your local apple store. Download some of the trial versions of recommended or free software and see if they will work for you.

12. gravyboat thread starter macrumors member

Good suggestion- thanks. May go this route if time permits.

13. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

You mean like the 4 ($99) and the 3GS ($0)? :D