Cheerleader must compensate school that told her to clap 'rapist'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by chilipie, May 4, 2011.

1. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

From The Independent.

While the decisions of the lower courts seem incredibly unjust to me, I'm genuinely surprised that the Supreme Court declined to hear the case. It would appear that if an organisation considers you to be representing them, they can effectively expel you for refusing to parrot the official line, whether you believe it or not - is this not a breach of the rights guaranteed by the first amendment?

2. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

The guy pleaded guilty of assault and is still on the team?

3. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

It just seems crazy to think that you can expelled for something like that. I wonder was precedents the lower courts were using when justifying the decision. There has to be many if the SC declined to hear it.

The priorities are a little different in Texas when we are talking about high school athletes. A basketball playing rapist is obviously more important to the school than the victim.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If she wasn't willing to do her job as a cheerleader, then she shouldn't be on the squad.

You can argue that the school had their priorities wrong, that the boy should have been punished more severely, and I'd agree with you.

But when she steps out on the court, she's representing the school, not herself.

If she's unwilling to fulfill her duties, then she should not be out there.

5. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Well said.

6. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

She gets fined $45,000 for that? I don't think she should have to give up on her sport not cheering for one asshat. The fine is excessive.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

sadly that is my though as well. The school screwed up big time by not kicking the boy off the team since he also represents the school.
    It is also sad that the school force the girl to do that as well. Most schools would of not said anything and would of understood.
    It speaks volumes about what is more important at that school. I know at the HS I went to this would never of been an issue because the boy would of been kick off the team in a heart beat even if he was the star player he still would of been kick off the team.

On top of that they would never of made it an issue if their hands were tied during the legal proceedings.

edit
    Also I hate how Texas get painted in yet another bad light. I went to a Texas HS and the events I wrote down is exactly what would of happen. Hell I know of some kids who got kick off the team for lesser offences than sexually assaulting (minor in consumption and drugs)
    Also it is not not a HS that was not good in sports. It regularly comes close to to taking state Champion (as in top 5) and is in what is consider the hardest district in the state for other HS is plays against. This is across multiple sports.

8. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

She arguably also should not be forced to pay $45,000 for not doing so.

9. barkomatic macrumors 68040

According to the article, the charge of rape was dropped and the student who attacked HS was charged with misdemeanor assault. Apparently, there was no evidence of rape. So the title of this thread is misleading.

If the rape charge had stuck, the offending student wouldn't even be in school and so this wouldn't have been an issue.

Even with a minor assault charge, I could understand the cheerleader not being enthusiastic about him. However, she should have made this known before the game. I do think $45,000 in damages is excessive.

10. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

It probably isn't a fine or damages. She is probably on the hook for $45,000 of the district's legal fees defending themselves against her suit.

11. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

She is willing to do her job, she's not willing to cheer the person who raped her. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

The only thing which isn't reasonable here is that her rapist was still in school and on the team.

Good basketball player > than girls long term mental stability.

12. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The rape charges were dropped. He was charged with misdemeanor assault.

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

45k is the schools legal cost. Does not make it right
    Kid should still of been kicked off the team. Again at my HS they would of done it in a heart beat. That along with the lovely punishment athletes get which I want to say is run like 40-100 miles which means every day during practice they get to run until they hit their required mileage. It is know to the athletes get in trouble off campus with the law you will be punished on campus as well.

14. leekohler, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 4, 2011

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

So? he still should not be on the team. Misdemeanor assault somehow makes it better? Why should this girl have to quit being a cheerleader because the school failed to punish the POS who assaulted her?

All you people saying that she should have "done her job" are full of crap. I'm shocked, especially given who it is saying these things.

15. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I understand the school argument. Does not mean I agree with it but understand it and see the argument as valid.
    The biggest issue is the fact that it became an issue at all. The boy should of been kick off the basketball team on day 1. If that had happen it would of never of become an issue because he would of not been on the team.

Athletes represent the school just as much as cheerleaders and what message is the school sending by letting him play. The answer is not a good one.
    Like I said before my HS would of kick him off the team even if he was the star player along with handed him the athlete punishment at school. I have watch the school in the past do things like that for much lesser crimes off campus and they stood firm on it. They kick off/benched some of their starters for much lesser crimes along with the athlete punishment of running X miles. School administration (including the school board) would back that choice and expect that punishment to be enforced. This is in a Texas school district that has a school that teams are among the best in the state. Academics and students mental health are way ahead in important before sports.

16. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I would say there is a huge difference between misdemeanor assault and rape. Misdemeanor assault can be something as simple as grabbing someone's arm without their permission. Are you equating that with rape?

Once I read the Supreme Court refused to hear the case, I felt like there are many details of this case that are being left out in order to generate outraged responses.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Obviously, this is about a lot more than just grabbing someone's arm. Please. :rolleyes:

18. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Is it? Has it been proven in court? Would you like to be treated as guilty of a crime you didn't commit simply because people who weren't present assumed you committed it?

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Based on the greater charge and a plea deal then yes a lot greater.

Again the HS should of kick the boy off the team. Considering his punishment they really should of.
    My HS would of done it for a lesser charge.

20. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

It's not at all obvious that a sexual assault wasn't committed, depending on how the attack was carried out it can be quite difficult to obtain enough evidence to stick such a charge.

I think we probably don't know enough about the case to speculate on the specifics.

What it comes down to if the girl didn't want to chant one team members name no one would have noticed. It's not nearly enough reason to go kicking her off the team (its not as if they were paying her), and as far as I'm concerned she had grounds to sue.

It's just an example of the school failing to use good sense.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep.

Exactly. She did nothing wrong, but she's the one getting punished. It's ridiculous.

22. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Thats how it should be, my high school would have done the same.

It's unfair to claim that this is a "Texas" thing, but you have to have herd about (or personally observed) schools which place a great deal of emphasis on their sports teams?

A private school in my town (in Virginia) had a habit of overlooking breaches of conducts by its athletic stars. And in a number of cases supported students re-taking grades in order to keep them in the program longer.

I think it's a national issue that many schools (high school and college) have lost some focus on what they are supposed to be doing, ie. EDUCATING people. Sports should always be secondary to education, it's an issue when the sports programs become so large and competitive that they start to supersede the education aspect of school.

23. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

I agree that she did nothing wrong, but she did choose to sue the school.

Unfortunately she lost the suit, and as a result is required to pay the legal fees of the other party. To make matters worse, she probably is also responsible for her own legal fees which are likely going to be of a similar amount.

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This decision seems clearly wrong though. We're now saying it's OK for a school to kick a girl off a cheerleading squad for not cheering for someone who assaulted her?

That doesn't strike you as absolutely insane?

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Its not as if not cheering someone is a life and death thing. Its not as if she worked at a nuclear power plant and there was a meltdown.