Cheerleading is NOT a sport (That Counts Towards Title IX Requirements)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MattSepeta, Jul 23, 2010.

1. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

2. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

I watched Penn & Teller's episode on Cheerleading a few weeks ago.

Seems very sport-ish to me. Requires skill, training, coordination, it's a team effort...

3. MattSepeta thread starter macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Right

I agree. And I think most cheerleaders would bite your arm off if you tried to explain to them how their passion is not a sport.

If golf and baseball are sports, cheerleading is certainly a sport.

4. Zyniker macrumors 6502

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

This is actually a double-edged sword, as I understand it. If cheerleading is not considered a sport, it isn't subject to the same kinds of safety regulations regarding practice surfaces and equipment, and required levels of training and coaching staff; this is in addition to the lack of school's ability to use this as a Title IX activity.

If it is a sport, schools can use the offset against men's sports, but they'll also have to ensure that there is an equivalent male cheer squad as well as up the cost in coaches and equipment -- which really needs to happen anyway. Too many cheerleaders are suffering devastating injuries as a result of this new competitive style of cheerleading.

6. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Well, apparently the person making the decision is ignorant of what it takes. It's not any less of a sport than synchronized swimming.
    Watching the cheerleaders and their acrobatic displays is a sport. It's far from rah rah rah like when these old farts were in highschool

7. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

like ....?

That is true. I think the current cheerleeding effort is more inline with some gymnastics.

8. MattSepeta thread starter macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

This.

Its a beautiful thing. I think we are witnessing the pendulum start swinging the other way :p

This decision smacks of political machinations trying to further the over-stepping civil rights agenda , not legitimate arguments debating the merit of the activity.

9. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

[​IMG]

It's a bird... It's a plane... It's.... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All I know is they look more athletic than I do...

10. awmazz macrumors 65816

If it is to keep kids fit and/or competitive, it fulfills its purpose. If more want to do cheerleading than volleyball, than it is superior in fulfilling that purpose.
    Archery. And other target 'sports' where the person just stands/sits still and aims at a target.

PS. If cheerleading isn't a sport, then either is golf. If golf is a sport and not a (competitive) pastime, then so is darts and snooker/pool imo. And computer games. And kite flying. And and and.

11. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Cheerleading is not a sport, anyone can hop up and down with pompoms while screaming "Go Eagles Go!". The problem is that the current form of Cheerleading is not Cheerleading at all. It's just a form of synchronized team gymnastics. Maybe they should just rename it as "Synchronized Team Gymnastics" and the problem goes away.

12. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

Competitive cheerleading is most definitely a sport. Those girls (and guys) are in better shape than many athletes in other sports (especially the aforementioned golf and baseball). Hell, have you ever seen the upper back, arm, ab, and leg muscles of a Division 1 female cheerleader?? A lot of them are as muscular as competitive gymnasts (which is what most of them are basically). I attended a Division 1 college, and had several male cheerleaders in my fraternity. Upon meeting them for the first time you'd swear they were on the football team, not cheerleading. They are huge.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

This thread title is somewhat misleading. The judge did not say cheerleading is not a sport, but rather that it does not qualify as a sport under the requirements of Title IX. That is a substantial difference.

The judge's ruling provides insight into why the decision went the way it did. As the judge noted in the ruling, there is no reason competitive cheer cannot someday become a varsity-level college sport. It just doesn't meet the requirements right now, and thus cannot be used right now to offset requirements under Title IX.

If competitive cheer advocates want to make it a varsity-level sport, they need to do a few things first, then it sounds like this judge would agree that it qualifies as a sport. Things like requirements for minimum levels of competence and training in coaches, a robust national organization, and a focus on competition as opposed to the role of support for other teams.

In the end, it boils down to this for the judge:
    I'd have to agree. It's not that competitive cheer isn't a sport, or isn't more physically demanding that other activities that do qualify as a sport. It's that competitive cheer isn't organized enough yet to provide a varsity-level equivalent to other, more established sports; and thus cannot be used by a college as a way to cut other women's sports programs.

Also, if you read the article, the judge was not happy with some of the accounting procedures used by the school to tally their numbers:
    Organizations that engage in such behavior should be treated skeptically.

But, of course, screaming "Cheerleading is NOT a sport" makes for much better headlines than the real story, doesn't it?