Chelsea Manning leaves prison

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, May 18, 2017.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Chelsea Manning was released from military prison today. President Obama commuted the bulk of her 35 yr sentence as one of his final acts as President.

With the benefit of hindsight, its easy to see now how Manning, along with Edward Snowden, were pawns in a long-running Russian plot to destabilize the West. By releasing vast troves of highly classified data via Wikileaks and similar sites, Manning and Snowden gave such releases a credibility - and legitimacy - that would later come back to haunt us.

Manning will be living in seclusion in the immediate period following her release. There was a GoFundMe campaign that apparently raised more than $130,000 to cover her initial living expenses.

I don't wish Chelsea Manning ill, and I certainly agree with President Obama's decision to commute much of her sentence. But it is hard for me to forget the small - but pivotal - role Manning played in the unfolding catastrophe that has resulted in Donald Trump as President of the United States.

2. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Russia Russia Russia:rolleyes: the ONLY reason you care it's because it reflected badly on the last clown in office.

4. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm not sure I understand your point.

I certainly don't agree with what Chelsea Manning did. Her release of tens of thousands of classified US diplomatic and military documents caused great harm to the United States, with very few tangible benefits.

But I think her actions were more those of someone who was disillusioned and naive, rather than deliberate treachery. I think Manning was ultimately used by Wikileaks, which was operating under a strictly anti-US agenda. If Manning had the benefit of seeing how Wikileaks was publishing exclusively anti-US material, rather than a more broad-based range of corruption targets, then I think she might have exercised better judgment.

Slowly torturing Chelsea Manning to death in the US military prison system wasn't going to achieve anything. She had already served a longer prison term for disclosing classified material than any other person in US history.

And if there is fault to be found, some blame also needs to be placed on many people within the liberal and libertarian communities, who so readily embraced the actions of people like Manning and Edward Snowden. They hailed - at the time - the uncovering of U.S. Government, military, and intelligence misconduct. Without stopping to consider the broader implications of those breaches. Truth be told: Despite the vast extent of the documents Manning released, there was remarkably little evidence of corruption or wrongdoing. US diplomats might have spoken disparagingly, in their private communications, about many of their foreign contacts. But there was little to suggest that either the United States, nor its own agents, were acting illegally or immorally. The fact that so many people on the left failed to recognize and appreciate this is one of their greatest failures.

By effectively praising Wikileaks role in publishing Mannings leaks, the left unintentionally - and unwisely - gave Wikileaks a credibility that would later come back to haunt them.

5. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Illegally? Not US citizens/troops, but it did highlight corruption, torture and other abuses by the US backed governments/troops/police in Iraq and Afghanistan. As for immoral acts, well it showed the US troops laughing at people they just killed... Even more astounding than the leaks is the resistance to change these practices.

Who is more Tratior? The one who acts against the principles your country was founded on, or the one who reports on those acts?

6. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I hope one day he meets the fate he deserves.
    [​IMG]

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

well since it happened under Obama you can guess the response from VR.

8. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

It's been happening since Vietnam...

9. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

The laughing at someone you just killed part? I'm sure that's been going on since man invented war.

10. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

No this part.

11. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Good for him. I think he was trying to make a difference and didn't realize how Wikileaks was a pawn of the Russians, and selected what they would publish to focus on hurting just the US.

But his jail sentence was too long for what he did, so it is good that it was commuted.

12. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

Agreed. The sentence did not match the crime; it was more to "make an example", which I never agree with.

She'll live with this for the rest of her life.

13. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Umm...wtf?

14. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think the poster is hoping he gets lynched.

15. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Agree. He will likely have a rough life and it wouldn't surprise me if he eventually meets his maker sooner than expected.