Chemical smell in quiet neighborhood around 1-4 am

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Dec 14, 2013.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I can't figure out this strong chemical odor in the wee hours of the morning.

My first fear was a drug lab but it's hard to tell what direction it's coming from. It's like the smell of roofing tar. How far does the smell carry and do labs like that typically cook then or do they go all the time and not care?

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Ask someone from Jersey, they should be experts at this.

3. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

LMAO..Why is it you guys (and many of my NYC relatives) diss NJ so much? :D

4. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

5. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Cause NJ is a polluted and politically corrupt cesspool.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Which means they are likely opening the doors and windows on the city govt. building at that time of night to air it out.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Like that is unique to NJ.:rolleyes:

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Nope, but NJ is on another level . ;)

9. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

We got to stay on topic unless we are setting up for the 2016 presidential race winner of some guy from New Jersey. God help us all. Wait, politically corrupt New Jersey politician going to politically corrupt Washington DC...a good fit.

But back on topic, a part of me did thinks because New Jersey has a disproportionate amount of chemical plants just outside NYC that they would know what the chemical smell of burning rubber or fingernail polish remover would be. I am in rural Northern California and we don't have chemical plants, save a few fertilizer plants. That smell at night is puzzling indeed.

10. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

I doubt meth cooking would smell like roofing tar. Probably more like ammonia or rotten eggs (hydrogen sulfide).

http://illinoisattorneygeneral.gov/methnet/recognizingmeth/outside.html
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070113154912AAlNlgM
    http://www.ncdoj.com/getdoc/72a0bddf-2fec-45b2-97b5-449c7d89bdc6/Signs-of-a-Meth-Lab.aspx

11. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Jersey hasn't been that bad since the 80's. It's a yuppie utopia for the bridge and tunnel lot now, with plenty of white flight Italians and Irish Catholics thrown in for good measure.

Back in the day though, jersey was basically a landfill passing as a state.

12. LIVEFRMNYC, Dec 15, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013

LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I still notice the difference in smell when I pass the through the GWB. Jersey City might be a yuppie utopia but it's not the full spectrum of the state.

13. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

14. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Let us hope the smell wasn't ether....

In any case, given the event occurred in NJ, my guess is illegal chemical dumping into the sewer system. Chemical and biohazardous waste disposal in NJ is shockingly corrupt.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Driving up the Interstate 95 corridor for the first time (a long time ago), I thought that too. But there's a whole nother side of Jersey. It is called the Garden State for a reason. I can't say it's any more political corrupt than any where else, though.

16. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

That happens from time to time here. Most of the time it is some hill billy burning tires or shingles.

17. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Jersey has come a long way. Newark, Trenton, and Camden are third world nations, but beyond that, it's a pretty clean, safe, and family oriented. They've gotten way more environmentally aware too, where at one time is was just a giant dumping ground for anything and everything.

A lot of Jersey's blue collar manufacturing has been exported as well so it is much cleaner as a result.

18. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Not really saying more or less. Just that the political corruption is on the obvious scale, to the point it's almost laughable and mafia like.

19. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

NJ and NY are both political cesspools when it comes to corruption.

20. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Yes but NY doesn't shut down tolls on the GWB causing 5 hour delays with the lame excuse of "it was for a traffic study".