Cheney and Gonzales Indicted

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by joepunk, Nov 18, 2008.

1. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

From the Dallas Morning News

Well how about that.

2. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    A shame we can't merge our own threads. Anywho. This sounds good.
    I'm surprised no one here has commented yet.

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE4AI11B20081119
    ~ CB

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Merging can be fraught with peril. Dick Cheney is more user-friendly than the merge tools. ;)

4. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Fair enough. :) Harkening for the "Impeach Bush" thread, this sounds like it'd be a reason to cheer. I guess we'll see if the judge throws it out I guess. Not really the way to end an administration though... especially with Bush's own state's jury doing the dirty work.

~ CB

5. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'll go out on a limb here and say "no".

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Probably not. It sounds like this grand jury is chasing a wild hare.

8. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

well, I guess we know who Bush's final pardons will go to before leaving office.

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Your not out on a limb , your still very safe on the trunk of the tree. Nothing will happen. Bushco seem to be above the law on everything they do and Congress is still asleep.

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/246450.php

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/news/2008/12/indictments_against_cheney_gon.php

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

12. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Cheney has a lot of very powerful allies, but there are even more people who hate him passionately. Just how passionately will become clear over the years - maybe people will continue to bring civil and criminal suits against him until something sticks.

In many ways he is the true bugbear of all those opposed to the Bush Administration and its policies.

13. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

The Democrats will be so busy cleaning up the economic mess of Bush Co. so there will probably not be a lot of attention into going after criminal and tort suits against the major players.

On one hand, it would be nice for justice to be done, on the other hand, Obama will need the help of the GOP to get out of this recession. He has to hand over an olive branch to the other side.

14. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

I think Ford's pardoning of Nixon and the Clinton impeachment might factor into the Obama administration's thinking as well. History has looked favorably at what Ford did. Prosecuting Nixon would have done little to help the country move forward. History, so far, has not looked so favorably on the Clinton impeachment.

I would think Obama would take the long view that whatever "justice" that will come from prosecuting Bush administration figures would merely be short-lived political revenge. Or maybe I'm just projecting better angels onto our future president.

mt

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It is arguable that not prosecuting Nixon for his crimes while in office led the current crowd in the White House -- many of whom cut their teeth in the Nixon administration, and share the same expansive view of executive power -- to believe that they could commit crimes and also get away with it.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And we the people, who didn't insist on an investigation, proved them right. :mad:

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Speaking of Nixon...

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-nixon3-2008dec03,0,3011353.story

I don't know if the lesson to be taken from this is "it could be worse," because in truth we really don't know yet, and if the time it took for the Nixon lie-berry to release this information is any guide, we may not live long enough to find out.

18. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

It's true Rumsfeld and Cheney and maybe others had brief appearances in the Nixon administration, but short of a Stalinistic purge, I can't imagine how prosecuting Nixon would have affected their careers. The real culprits -- RMN, Haldeman, Ehrlichman, Colson, Liddy, others -- either served prison terms or suffered great humiliation.

mt

19. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

I hoping it's OJ. :D

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well, it's pretty obvious that Cheney and Rumsfeld learned some significant lessons from the Nixon saga. Top on the list, I'm sure, was not to leave evidence laying around, but up high on the list as well was "it's not illegal if the president does it". Prosecuting Nixon for his actions may have disabused them of this notion.

Or it may not have.

But it's certainly arguable that it would have, and it's based in the same notion that many of their conservative supporters believe in -- namely the deterrent effect of swift and sure justice for perpetrators of crimes.