Cheney may be target of probe

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
link

WASHINGTON - A special prosecutor's intensifying focus into who outed a CIA spy has raised questions whether Vice President Cheney himself is involved, knowledgeable sources confirmed yesterday.
At least one source and one reporter who have testified in the probe said U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald is pursuing Cheney's role in the Valerie Plame affair.

In addition, at least six current and former Cheney staffers - most members of the White House Iraq Group - have testified before the grand jury, including the vice president's top honcho, Lewis (Scooter) Libby, and two top Cheney national security lieutenants.

Cheney's name has come up amid indications Fitzgerald may be edging closer to a blockbuster conspiracy charge - with help from a secret snitch.

"They have got a senior cooperating witness - someone who is giving them all of that," a source who has been questioned in the leak probe told the Daily News yesterday.

Cheney was questioned last year byprosecutors and has hired a private attorney, former colleague Terrence O'Donnell, who declined to comment when contacted by The News.

Cheney spokeswoman Lea Anne McBride only offered the standard canned response that her boss is cooperating.
Cheney and Libby spend hours together in the course of a day, which causes sources who know both men very well to assert that any attempts to discredit Wilson would almost certainly have been known to the vice president.

"Scooter wouldn't be freelancing on this without Cheney's knowledge," a source told the Daily News. "It was probably some off-the-cuff thing: 'This guy [Wilson] could be a problem.'"

crdean1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2005
Texas
"Scooter wouldn't be freelancing on this without Cheney's knowledge," a source told the Daily News. "It was probably some off-the-cuff thing: 'This guy [Wilson] could be a problem.'"

It doesn't say if he winked or not. I guess we'll know soon enough. If he didn't wink when he said it, then it's Libby all the way, if he did wink, then he should go down too. ;)

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Cheney's name has come up amid indications Fitzgerald may be edging closer to a blockbuster conspiracy charge - with help from a secret snitch.

"They have got a senior cooperating witness - someone who is giving them all of that," a source who has been questioned in the leak probe told the Daily News yesterday.
Wow... that's a new tidbit. And a shocking one at that. Who in the inner circle is giving up the goods?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I feel compelled to point out that the source of this information is the New York Daily News, not exactly a paragon of journalistic excellence. Of course that other New York newspaper isn't earning any awards lately either.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
Well, it would be nice if it's true. And I'm getting ahead of myself by wondering if it would be a very specific investigation or a broader one. (A broader one might bring in the spectre of Halliburton, and who knows what Pandora's box that might open.)

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
Thomas Veil said:
Well, it would be nice if it's true. And I'm getting ahead of myself by wondering if it would be a very specific investigation or a broader one. (A broader one might bring in the spectre of Halliburton, and who knows what Pandora's box that might open.)
If it's true that someone in the inner circle is turning over evidence, then who knows what could be uncovered? How about information on fixing elections? That might get a few more folks interested.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Didn't George Stephanopolous (I know I'm spelling that wrong) mention something about Cheney being involved a few weeks ago? Seemed to pass under a lot of people's radar, must not have been that confident about his source or something. But yeah, I read this early on MSNBC. Quoting the Washington Post, oddly enough. Doubt he'll go down for it, but we'll see what happens come '06.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
Cheney to resign?

There are even rumors flying all over Washington that Cheney might resign and be replaced by Rice. I stress these are just rumors at this point.

Sparked by today's Washington Post story that suggests Vice President Cheney's office is involved in the Plame-CIA spy link investigation, government officials and advisers passed around rumors that the vice president might step aside and that President Bush would elevate Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.

"It's certainly an interesting but I still think highly doubtful scenario," said a Bush insider. "And if that should happen," added the official, "there will undoubtedly be those who believe the whole thing was orchestrated – another brilliant Machiavellian move by the VP."

Said another Bush associate of the rumor, "Yes. This is not good." The rumor spread so fast that some Republicans by late morning were already drawing up reasons why Rice couldn't get the job or run for president in 2008.

"Isn't she pro-choice?" asked a key Senate Republican aide. Many White House insiders, however, said the Post story and reports that the investigation was coming to a close had officials instead more focused on who would be dragged into the affair and if top aides would be indicted and forced to resign.

"Folks on the inside and near inside are holding their breath and wondering what's next," said a Bush adviser. But, he added, they aren't focused on the future of the vice president. "Not that, at least not seriously," he said.
USNews.com

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Didn't some comedian once say that we'd never have a black VP with an unpopular white Pres? I could see them trying to win back the 98% of blacks that don't like BushCo... but it could also blow in their faces. Like with their base, who may be a little uncomfortable with the idea of a black female VP. And some people who would litterally blow stuff up in their faces to have a woman and/or black Pres, even if they don't like her.

Plus, during Katrina she was playing tennis and buying shoes.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
The SpinMasters.................Cheneys Health is enough reason to step aside let alone his office blowing this cia cover. I can see it now Rice vs Clinton :D That would be fun to watch.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
mactastic said:
Wow... that's a new tidbit. And a shocking one at that. Who in the inner circle is giving up the goods?
Raw Story is reporting it is one of Cheney's aides, John Hannah.
A senior aide to Vice President Dick Cheney is cooperating with special prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald in the outing of CIA agent Valerie Plame Wilson, sources close to the investigation say.

Individuals familiar with Fitzgerald’s case tell RAW STORY that John Hannah, a senior national security aide on loan to Vice President Dick Cheney from the offices of then-Under Secretary of State for Arms Control and International Security Affairs, John Bolton, was named as a target of Fitzgerald’s probe. They say he was told in recent weeks that he could face imminent indictment for his role in leaking Plame-Wilson’s name to reporters unless he cooperated with the investigation.

Others close to the probe say that if Hannah is cooperating with the special prosecutor then he was likely going to be charged as a co-conspirator and may have cut a deal.
According to an old Newsweek story he received intelligence reports directly from the Iraqi National Congress (Chalabi) which was used to justify the war. If it is true he is cooperating, he would be in a position to tell a lot about the lies used to start the invasion as well as plans to discredit critics like Wilson.
For months, Cheney’s office has denied that the veep bypassed U.S. intelligence agencies to get intel reports from the INC. But a June 2002 memo written by INC lobbyist Entifadh Qunbar to a U.S. Senate committee lists John Hannah, a senior national-security aide on Cheney’s staff, as one of two “U.S. governmental recipients” for reports generated by an intelligence program being run by the INC and which was then being funded by the State Department. Under the program, “defectors, reports and raw intelligence are cultivated and analyzed”; the info was then reported to, among others, “appropriate governmental, non-governmental and international agencies.” The memo not only describes Cheney aide Hannah as a “principal point of contact” for the program, it even provides his direct White House telephone number. The only other U.S. official named as directly receiving the INC intel is William Luti, a former military adviser to former House Speaker Newt Gingrich who, after working on Cheney’s staff early in the Bush administration, shifted to the Pentagon, where he oversaw a secretive Iraq war-planning unit called the Office of Special Plans.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Sayhey's Rawstory article said:
William Luti, [...] who, after working on Cheney’s staff early in the Bush administration, shifted to the Pentagon, where he oversaw a secretive Iraq war-planning unit called the Office of Special Plans.
it's all so cozy. i'm hoping Fitzi hits 'em w/ the RICO act on top of everything else.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
<wild conspiracy theory>
You guys have it all wrong. Cheney is the high level source and he's pointing at W. If W is taken down Cheney gets to be Pres. He's been guiding W towards all of the abysmal decisions he has made and this way when he turns around everything W got wrong he can get elected in 2008.
</wild conspiracy theory>

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
I have to admit, I'm enjoying watching the growing list of liars and scam artists under investigation.

Not all these guys may do the perp walk, but they're doing a pretty damn good job of crippling the Republican party.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
No Final Report Seen in Inquiry on C.I.A. Leak

link

WASHINGTON, Oct. 18 - The special counsel in the C.I.A. leak case has told associates he has no plans to issue a final report about the results of the investigation, heightening the expectation that he intends to bring indictments, lawyers in the case and law enforcement officials said yesterday.

The prosecutor, Patrick J. Fitzgerald, is not expected to take any action in the case this week, government officials said. A spokesman for Mr. Fitzgerald, Randall Samborn, declined to comment.

A final report had long been considered an option for Mr. Fitzgerald if he decided not to accuse anyone of wrongdoing, although Justice Department officials have been dubious about his legal authority to issue such a report.

By signaling that he had no plans to issue the grand jury's findings in such detail, Mr. Fitzgerald appeared to narrow his options either to indictments or closing his investigation with no public disclosure of his findings, a choice that would set off a political firestorm.

(more)

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
Now it appears there may be a second Cheney aide who is cooperating with Fitzgerald. If so Cheney is in trouble.

Second Cheney aide cooperating in leak probe, those close to case say
Jason Leopold and Larisa Alexandrovna

A second aide to Vice President Dick Cheney is cooperating with the special prosecutor's probe into the outing of covert CIA agent Valerie Plame Wilson, those close to the investigation say.

Late Monday, several sources familiar with Special Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald’s probe said John Hannah, a key aide to Vice President Dick Cheney and one of the architects of the Iraq war, was cooperating with Fitzgerald after being told that he was identified by witnesses as a co-conspirator in the leak. Sources said Hannah was not given immunity, but was likely offered a “deal” in exchange for information that could result in indictments of key White House officials.

Now, those close to the investigation say that a second Cheney aide, David Wurmser, has agreed to provide the prosecution with evidence that the leak was a coordinated effort by Cheney’s office to discredit the agent's husband. Her husband, former ambassador Joseph Wilson, was one of the most vocal critics of the Iraq war.

Wurmser, Cheney’s Middle East advisor and an assistant to then-Under Secretary of State for Arms Control and International Security Affairs John Bolton, likely cooperated because he faced criminal charges for his role in leaking Wilson's name on the orders of higher-ups, the sources said.

According to those familiar with the case, Wurmser was in attendance at several meetings of the White House Iraq Group (WHIG), a little-known cabal of administration hawks that formed in August 2002 to publicize the threat posed by Saddam Hussein. Those who say they have reviewed documents obtained in the probe assert that the Vice President was also present at some of the group’s meetings.

Wurmser did not return a call seeking comment.
Raw Story

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
Cheney 'cabal'?

This is an interesting article from Powell's former chief of staff.
Cheney 'cabal' hijacked foreign policy
By Edward Alden in Washington
Published: October 20 2005 00:00 | Last updated: October 20 2005 00:19

Vice-President Dick Cheney and a handful of others had hijacked the government's foreign policy apparatus, deciding in secret to carry out policies that had left the US weaker and more isolated in the world, the top aide to former Secretary of State Colin Powell claimed on Wednesday.

In a scathing attack on the record of President George W. Bush, Colonel Lawrence Wilkerson, chief of staff to Mr Powell until last January, said: “What I saw was a cabal between the vice-president of the United States, Richard Cheney, and the secretary of defense, Donald Rumsfeld, on critical issues that made decisions that the bureaucracy did not know were being made.

“Now it is paying the consequences of making those decisions in secret, but far more telling to me is America is paying the consequences.”

Transcript: Colonel Lawrence Wilkerson
Click here

Mr Wilkerson said such secret decision-making was responsible for mistakes such as the long refusal to engage with North Korea or to back European efforts on Iran.

It also resulted in bitter battles in the administration among those excluded from the decisions.

“If you're not prepared to stop the feuding elements in the bureaucracy as they carry out your decisions, you are courting disaster. And I would say that we have courted disaster in Iraq, in North Korea, in Iran.”

The comments, made at the New America Foundation, a Washington think-tank, were the harshest attack on the administration by a former senior official since criticisms by Richard Clarke, former White House terrorism czar, and Paul O'Neill, former Treasury secretary, early last year.

Mr Wilkerson said his decision to go public had led to a personal falling out with Mr Powell, whom he served for 16 years at the Pentagon and the State Department.

“He's not happy with my speaking out because, and I admire this in him, he is the world's most loyal soldier."

Among his other charges:

? The detainee abuse at Abu Ghraib and elsewhere was “a concrete example” of the decision-making problem, with the president and other top officials in effect giving the green light to soldiers to abuse detainees. “You don't have this kind of pervasive attitude out there unless you've condoned it.”

? Condoleezza Rice, the former national security adviser and now secretary of state, was “part of the problem”. Instead of ensuring that Mr Bush received the best possible advice, “she would side with the president to build her intimacy with the president”.

? The military, particularly the army and marine corps, is overstretched and demoralised. Officers, Mr Wilkerson claimed, “start voting with their feet, as they did in Vietnam. . . and all of a sudden your military begins to unravel”.

Mr Wilkerson said former president George H.W. Bush “one of the finest presidents we have ever had” understood how to make foreign policy work. In contrast, he said, his son was “not versed in international relations and not too much interested in them either”.

“There's a vast difference between the way George H.W. Bush dealt with major challenges, some of the greatest challenges at the end of the 20th century, and effected positive results in my view, and the way we conduct diplomacy today.”
Financial Times

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Did anyone catch Frontline last night on PBS? They connected the dots between White House policy, or at least Rumsfeld policy, and the treatment of prisoners in Iraq. They essentially demolished, once and for all, the administration's ludicrous "bad apples" defense.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
IJ Reilly said:
Did anyone catch Frontline last night on PBS? They connected the dots between White House policy, or at least Rumsfeld policy, and the treatment of prisoners in Iraq. They essentially demolished, once and for all, the administration's ludicrous "bad apples" defense.
Missed it. Do you know if it's availble for viewing online?

edit: yes it is! The Torture Question

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Let me know what you think. After seeing this I believe more than ever that Rumsfeld skated big time, and I think one of the reasons his resignation wasn't accepted is that it would have drawn attention to why.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
wttw just replayed the frontline piece and i caught most of it. i simultaneously want to cry and smash something. watching rumsfeld testify (and lie through his teeth) and respond to mccain's questions infuriated me.

IJ, i agree. the torture orders came straight from him and then he let soldiers (actual soldiers) take the fall. what a disgrace.